NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The search was on Monday for a man who police say was trying to get away from a group of men chasing him when he unintentionally slashed a 6-year-old boy in the forehead inside a mosque in the Bronx.

As CBS2’s Scott Rapoport reported, police said the suspect had just stabbed someone else, and they said they have video of it happening.

The slashing happened on Sunday around 2 p.m. at the Masjid Salaam at Longwood Avenue and Hewitt Place, police said.

Mouhammed Ndiaye, 6, was left with a six-stitch laceration on his forehead as a brutal reminder of the terrifying ordeal he endured.

“Were you scared?” CBS2’s Rapoport asked the boy, who replied “Yes.”

Surveillance video showed a man bursting into the mosque through the front door. The mosque was full of children at the time.

Police said the suspect was carrying a knife, and fleeing from a group of other men outside following a quarrel in which police said he stabbed someone.

Witnesses told CBS2 that the man was running for his life.

“We saw three people chasing him,” said witness Wabo Ilemy.

Witnesses said the man came busting through a curtain trying to elude the men chasing him, and inadvertently slashed Mouhammed with the knife. The little boy is seen on video reacting in pain and covering his forehead.

“The man with the knife ran into the mosque and was drawing back a curtain to hide behind; had the knife in his hand and accidentally struck the 6-year-old with the knife,” said NYPD Assistant Chief Patrick Conry.

Yerime Ndiaye is Mouhammed’s cousin and was there as it all happened.

“He got slashed in the forehead, so the first thing I did was just take my shirt to stop the bleeding,” Yerime said.

Surveillance video showed the man running away from the mosque shortly after the incident. He had yet to be caught late Monday.

As of Monday, Mouhammed was recuperating at home in the comforting embrace of his own family and clergy.

Police said the incident was not a bias crime and the laceration to the boys head was unintentional.”

Police also said they are looking to talk to witnesses who first saw the quarrel that led to the chase on the street and ultimately the slashing at the mosque.

Watch & Listen LIVE