Adis Medunjanin, a former security guard, agreed to become a suicide bomber targeting the New York City subway system, prosecutors said. The plan has been called the most significant terror plot on United States soil since 9/11.
Prosecutors say Adis Medunjanin and two of his Flushing high school classmates planned to bomb city subways in 2009.
There are persistent rumblings on jihadist websites calling for attacks. There were new propaganda videos posted this week from al Qaeda’s new leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, pledging to “do everything in order to deprive America of security.”
Rep. Peter King told WCBS 880 that there may be a noticable increase in security.
A British man who trained to be a shoe bomber a decade ago said Osama bin Laden told him shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks that he believed a follow-up terrorism attack could doom the American economy.
Najibullah Zazi, 26, has pleaded guilty and is testifying for the government now, but in 2009 he was still maintaining his innocence in a plot to suicide bomb the New York City underground, saying things like “I am not involved with al Qaeda.”
In court Tuesday, Zazi, with short hair and a beard, was asked if he could identify one of the two men who were committed to killing New Yorkers. He pointed to the defendant and said in a clear voice, “I see Medunjanin.”
The recent deadly attack at a Jewish school in Toulouse, France has prompted an extra layer of vigilance in New York City ahead of the eight-day Jewish holiday of Passover.
Sources said that based on linguistic patterns and other postings by the same person or group of persons authorities believe the author is a well-funded Eqyptian. Experts are trying to discover if the threat is some call to action.
The NYPD’s Intelligence Division’s cyber unit is investigating the poster that was posted in the “artwork and design” section of a forum and whether it constitutes a “credible threat.”
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is appearing with veterans in Manhattan to renew her call for a quick troop drawdown in Afghanistan.
Jose Pimentel was behind bars Monday night, being held without bail because, officials say, he had grandiose plans to blow up people and places in the metropolitan area, including the Intrepid Air and Space Museum.
Stunned residents remember the extremist killed in last week’s U.S. drone strike as a former neighbor who “fit right in.” He lived in the area for 10 years with his parents, brother and sister, and attended a local mosque.
The State Department is warning the public that supporters of the American-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki may try to retaliate following Friday’s military strike that killed the al-Qaeda recruiter and propagandist.
The fund is intended to help people who became ill after working at Ground Zero and others whose sicknesses can be tied to the site.