The Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms on a contract with free agent all-purpose threat Brad Smith, formerly of the New York Jets. It’s rumored to be a four-year, $15 million deal.
Mike Tannenbaum’s phone must be ringing non stop in his Florham Park office. Santonio Holmes has agreed to terms with the Jets on a new 5-year deal — and that’s not all.
Mark Sanchez is willing to put his money where his mouth is. The Jets quarterback, nicknamed “The San-chize” by fans, said Tuesday he has already spoken to his agent about looking into possibly restructuring his contract to help the team re-sign players.
The NFL lockout appears to be coming to an end. When it does, the Jets will quickly be in the middle of the utter madness of free agency. General Manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan will have their hands full making this team better.
Jets special teams weapon, do-it-all receiver and Wildcat quarterback Brad Smith is ready to test free agency. “As a football player in the interest of business, you have to be able to explore and see what may be best for you,” he told Pro Football Weekly.
Rex Ryan knows Plaxico Burress and Randy Moss are out there, but his main concern lies with the Jets’ free agents — for now.
Mark Sanchez says it’s time for “Jets West” to meet the rest. According to the quarterback, the entire team plans to work out together “sometime next month” if the NFL lockout drags on through June.
The NFL lockout and a lack of free agency have handcuffed Mike Tannenbaum so far this offseason. No big splashes. Still, the Jets GM is heading into next week’s NFL Draft with the same approach he always has.
Jets fans may have one less thing to worry about. According FoxSports.com’s Adam Schein, Randy Moss won’t be anywhere near the Gang Green clubhouse next season.
According to multiple reports, the Jets may be interested in bringing Randy Moss to New York. That is, if the NFL lockout doesn’t put the kibosh on the 2011 season.
Few plays are as memorable or dangerous as long kickoff returns. Highlight shows can’t get enough of Devin Hester, Leon Washington or the Jets’ Brad Smith breaking one. The NFL wants those “game-breaking” plays to be safer.
Mike Westhoff doesn’t expect the Jets to pick him a special teams superstar at No. 30 in next month’s NFL Draft. If the Jets’ plan is to fill a need elsewhere, he’s fine with it.
The Jets have placed a first- and third-round tender on Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes. That means another team would have to give up a first- and third-round pick to sign either free agent — at least under the current collective bargaining agreement.
There are days when the Jets deserve to be criticized by the fans, ridiculed on talk shows and destroyed in the press. But it shouldn’t be the case on this day, nor any other in the immediate future.
Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said Friday in a season-ending conference call that he hopes to keep all three potential free agent wide receivers — Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith.