carbon monoxide

Town of Hempstead Supervisor holds a carbon monoxide detector as she pushes for a law requiring their use at places of public assembly, Feb. 25, 2014. (credit: Sophia Hall/WCBS 880)

Hempstead Town Supervisor Wants Mandatory CO Detectors At Most Public Places

Officials on Long Island continue to push for laws requiring businesses to install carbon monoxide detectors following the death of a restaurant manager over the weekend.

02/25/2014

Authorities outside the Legal Sea Foods at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station where a man died and dozens more were sickened by a carbon monoxide leak, Feb. 22, 2014 (credit: Jim Powers/1010 WINS)

Lawmaker Calls For Mandatory Carbon Monoxide Detectors Following Death At LI Mall

Restaurant manager Steven Nelson, 55, was found dead in the basement of Legal Sea Foods Saturday night. More than two dozen other people were sent to hospitals for treatment.

02/24/2014

SoHo Manhole Fires

Outages, Evacuations After Manhole Fires Erupt In SoHo

Flames erupted in several manholes late Monday afternoon along Broadway in SoHo.

11/04/2013

A makeshift memorial to the 3 children killed in a Friday night fire in the Bronx. (Credit CBS 2)

In Wake Of Recent Tragedies, FDNY Reminds New Yorkers To Focus On Fire Safety

Five people have been killed in house fires this week, according to the FDNY. All of those victims could have gotten out alive.

11/01/2013

An ambulance at the scene of a scare at Camp Elementary School in Merrick on Oct. 10, 2013. (credit: Mona Rivera/1010 WINS)

Smoke From Boiler Prompts Evacuation, Emergency Response At LI Elementary School

A call came in just before 2 p.m. that children at Camp Avenue Elementary School in North Merrick were complaining that they weren’t feeling well.

10/10/2013

Emergency crews respond to the Roosevelt Field Mall on June 20, 2013 (credit: Sophia Hall / WCBS 880)

Fire Marshal: Nine Poisoned By Carbon Monoxide At Roosevelt Field Mall

Emergency responders in Nassau County were on the scene of a likely carbon monoxide poisoning at Roosevelt Field Mall Thursday morning.

06/20/2013

Hotel guests were evacuated from the Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected on June 13, 2013 (credit: CBS 2)

Carbon Monoxide Scare Prompts Evacuation Of NJ Hotel

Fire department officials believe the problem may have resulted from a blockage in the hotel’s pool heater.

06/14/2013

Ambulance (credit: clipart.com)

Tolland High School Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide

Fire officials say several ambulances were sent to the school as a precaution, and several people reported feeling ill, but no serious injuries have been reported.

04/12/2013

A snow-covered street near St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport - Feb. 11, 2013 (credit: Paul Murnane / WCBS 880)

The Big Dig Continues In Connecticut; 2 Found Dead In Snow-Covered Car

Monday proved to be a snow day in Connecticut, mostly because people had the same problem they had on Saturday and Sunday. They couldn’t get anywhere.

02/11/2013

The remains of a house following a deadly fire - Stamford, CT (credit: CBS2)

Stamford Officials Put Extra Focus On Annual Fire Prevention Week Following Christmas Day Fatal Fire

The city of Stamford has since passed a law requiring working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for every home in the city.

10/10/2012

(credit: Thinkstock)

Safety Tips: Keep Your Home Safe From Carbon Monoxide

Check out these simple tips for keeping your family safe from carbon monoxide.

09/19/2012

(credit: Paul Murnane/WCBS 880)

Carbon Monoxide Scare Forces Evacuation Of Bronx Apartment Building

At least 12 people have been taken to Jacobi Hospital as a precaution after complaining about feeling nauseous.

01/16/2012

Carbon monoxide poisoning in Ozone Park (credit: CBS 2)

Father And Son Die Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Queens

Neighbors became aware of the tragedy as firefighters and other investigators went door to door, checking carbon monoxide levels on the block.

01/14/2012

(credit: CBS 2)

Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 18 To Hospital In The Bronx

Firefighters were called to the building on East 172nd Street when the first alarm went off at around 3 a.m. and turned off the boiler, but three hours later, carbon monoxide filled the building.

01/10/2012

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (file / credit: Edward Reed / Mayor's Office)

New Legislation Seeks To Eradicate PCBs In NY Schools

Mayor Bloomberg signed legislation today relating to the notification and reporting of the possible presence of PCBs in city schools. The presence of toxic PCBs in schools has been a hot button issue for parents for a long time.

12/27/2011

more

previous