The parents of a black 18-year-old man shot to death by a white New York City police officer in 2012 have met with a federal prosecutor.
The mother of Ramarley Graham – the unarmed 18-year-old boy who was shot and killed by an NYPD officer – held a rally Wednesday demanding new charges against the officer who fired the shots.
On Wednesday, a judge found that prosecutors gave flawed instructions to a grand jury that indicted Officer Richard Haste. He pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges last year in connection with the death of 18-year-old Ramarley Graham.
According to police, officers thought Ramarley Graham was acting suspiciously on the street.
At a briefing Friday, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the sergeant who supervised the officer has also been placed on restricted duty. They had to turn in their guns and badges and will sit behind a desk for 30 days.
Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said an officer from the special Narcotics Unit fired one time, striking 18-year-old Rahmarley Graham in the chest.