East Harlem Explosion
Federal investigators said a poorly welded joint in a Con Edison gas line and a break in an old city sewer line were the likely causes of the blast.
A ceremony will be held Friday honoring one of the victims of last year’s gas explosion in East Harlem.
The report by the National Transportation Safety Board was among 161 documents made public Wednesday.
A memorial service Thursday is commemorating the one-year anniversary of a gas explosion in East Harlem that leveled two buildings and killed eight people.
City Comptroller Scott Stringer’s office says it has received 205 notices of claim surrounding the March 12 gas blast as of Monday.
Kadeisha Joseph said she now suffers from constant neck and back pain and has had to give up her job working with disabled children.
The New York City Fire Department will now have a much greater role in responding to reports of possible gas leaks, according to an order made by Mayor Bill de Blasio in response to East Harlem explosion.
Con Edison President Craig Ivey says the utility is starting a pilot program to have trucks that scan for stray voltage check for gas leaks as well.
Carmen Quinones lost her daughter Griselde Camacho in the March 12 blast. Quinones has been at Mount Sinai Medical Center for the past month after suffering a brain hemorrhage, a fractured spine and a broken wrist in the explosion.
The company said the payments were made Thursday, a day after the blast.
Friends and family said goodbye Wednesday to three of the eight victims killed in last week’s massive explosion in East Harlem.
Families who lost loved ones in other gas disasters are hoping last week’s deadly East Harlem explosion is a wake-up call for Con Edison.
Community and religious leaders held a moment of silence at 9:31 a.m. Wednesday to mark the passing of one week since the explosion.
The NTSB released an update Tuesday saying the 8-inch cast iron and plastic main between 116th and 117th streetes failed a pressure test and that tracer pumped into the main exposed the leak.
The medical examiner said the seven victims died from either blunt trauma or smoke inhalation and classified their deaths as accidents. Results were still pending on the eighth victim.