Fire marshals have determined that a gas explosion that damaged a school and injured three construction workers was sparked by a lit match.
Three workers were injured Thursday night when an explosion severely damaged a high school in the northwest Bronx late Thursday.
Con Edison said lightning may be to blame for a transformer explosion and fire that broke out in the Staten Island campus of St. John’s University.
An old oil tank exploded Thursday as it was being excavated from behind a home in Hastings-on-Hudson, shooting flames in the sky and leaving two men dead.
The incident took place Sunday morning on the 6 line at the Cypress Avenue subway station.
Nicholas Figueroa was on a lunch date when he was killed in an explosion and fire on 2nd Avenue in March. The blast claimed two lives.
Calls from customers concerned about gas leaks have risen sharply since the deadly explosion last week in the East Village, and Con Edison inspectors have been working at a frantic pace.
Mayor Bill de Blasio on Thursday said the evidence pointed to a gas explosion in the blast that destroyed several buildings in the East Village – even though there were no reports of odors or leaks.
A gas explosion ripped through four buildings and ended up leveling three of them, leaving a total of 19 people injured in a bustling section of the East Village Thursday afternoon.
Some passersby who were in the East Village at the time of the devastating explosion and fire Thursday afternoon said they were lucky to be alive – and one woman even said her shirt caught fire.
The buildings that were damaged or destroyed in a massive explosion and fire in the East Village Thursday housed two popular restaurants, and one of them was once the home to a former star of “The Sopranos.”
Two of the three workers injured when an MRI machine exploded at a Paramus, New Jersey animal hospital last week had released from the hospital as of Monday.
Around 1:40 a.m., authorities said a 47-year-old man woke up to the strong smell of gas inside his home on Rear Cooks Lane.
Investigators say natural gas leaking from an underground main traveled into a New Jersey house, built up in its basement and exploded when it came in contact with an open flame from an appliance in the house.
Ryan Flanagan was listed in stable condition in the intensive care unit with burns to her lower extremities.