The MTA says over 857,000 cubic yards of rock have been removed to create the new caverns and tunnels under Manhattan.
Investigators were searching for suspects Monday night, after a series of explosive devices detonated in New Rochelle.
A New Jersey family was left homeless for the holidays, after their home went up in flames following an explosion nearby.
A man trying to help a New Milford homeowner repair a propane leak was killed when the house exploded, leaving only a chimney, police said.
Construction workers were blasting through rock to create an escalator for the Second Avenue subway when two 1,800-pound steel plates were lifted into the air, allowing debris to rain onto the street.
Human error is being looked at as a possible cause of an underground explosion that rocked the Upper East Side Tuesday.
Investigators continued probing the matchstick-like rubble that was a home, until it was blown to smithereens on Tuesday, killing a toddler and injuring six adults inside.
A family of three, including an 18-month-old baby, were inside the home as well as a plumber, insurance inspector and real estate agent at the time of the explosion. The baby was confirmed dead by authorities.
A fast-moving fire tore through a commercial building in East Farmingdale on Saturday.
Martiza Matea suffered burns on about 60 percent of her body after the unit’s compressor apparently exploded around 7 p.m. Tuesday, authorities said.
The blast occurred at the site of an old Mobil station where workers were removing an underground gas tank, officials said.
Contractor Fidel Padilla, 53, of 97 Croton Avenue, Cortlandt Manor pleaded guilty to felony reckless endangerment. His company, FGC Communications, Inc. pleaded guilty to felony assault.
Two men were hospitalized after a compressor apparently exploded at a northern New Jersey cabinet workshop.
Police said Theodore Ellinghouse was killed by a large firecracker which exploded while he was holding it in the hallway of a home at 112-21 111th Avenue in Ozone Park Monday.
The Nassau County Fire Marshal’s Office and the Arson/Bomb Squad said the source of the explosion was fireworks that had been stored in a three inch PVC pipe.