Firefighters came to the aid of a woman who was trapped on the roof of a burning three-family home in northern New Jersey.
One firefighter was treated at a hospital and eight others were hosed down after they were affected by fumes from a bug bomb that was set off at a northern New Jersey nail salon.
A number of probationary New York City firefighters are on medical leave after contracting a drug-resistant staph infection commonly known as MRSA, officials said.
Police and firefighters in Fairfield are set to undergo training that will enable them to carry an antidote that reverses the effects of heroin and other opiates.
Two baby herons were back resting comfortably in their nests Tuesday night, after being rescued by firefighters when they fell out of a tree in Long Beach, Long Island.
Black smoke and fire were seen coming out of the roof of a 5-story residential building on York Avenue on Sunday.
Martinez is a 24-year veteran of the FDNY. He was with Engine 157 at ground zero during the September 11, attacks, and spent months working rescue and recovery after losing 6 of colleagues.
Almost half of the graduates in the latest FDNY class are people of color, and four are women. The class comprises the greatest number of female graduates the department has ever had at one time.
A Financial District bar that had become a part of the fabric of the neighborhood in some of the city’s darkest days was set to close its doors for good on Friday night.
Crews responded to a smokey fire in a fourth floor apartment in East Orange. They found the two or three-year-old child inside and not breathing.
Dozens of firefighters battled a multi-alarm blaze that engulfed two abandoned buildings in Paterson that apparently were being occupied by several squatters.
Two brush fires broke out in Suffolk County Sunday, and firefighters encountered difficulty from the wind as they battled the flames in one blaze.
Residents were evacuated on Saturday night as a fast-moving fire ripped through an apartment complex in Union Township, N.J.
In January, an advisory board of government and fire officials recommended the overhead systems no longer be mandatory.
Ten firefighters were treated for minor injuries. The fire was under control as of 11:20 p.m. but remains under investigation. The Red Cross was assisting displaced residents.