The jury at the trial of a New York City police officer accused of plotting to kill women and eat their body parts won’t be shown gruesome photos from websites he visited but will see evidence of Internet searches on subjects like “how to cook a human,” a judge ruled on Monday.
Agent Anthony Foto told jurors at the trial of Officer Gilberto Valle on a kidnapping conspiracy charge that Valle claimed after his October arrest that he did not really enjoy talking to people about kidnapping, killing and eating women.
The lawyer, Robert Baum, directed FBI Agent Corey Walsh to obvious falsehoods in communications that the government has used as evidence that Officer Gilberto Valle was serious about attacking women he knew, including his wife.
FBI Agent Corey Walsh continues testifying Wednesday in the third day of evidence presentation in the two-week trial of 28-year-old Officer Gilberto Valle.
Four women who were alleged targets of 28-year-old Gilberto Valle testified Tuesday. It is the second day of testimony in the officer’s trial in federal court in Manhattan.
Federal prosecutors in Manhattan plan to use emails and other evidence to show that 28-year-old Gilberto Valle had dangerous schemes to abduct women and devour them.
Ahead of the start of the trial in the so-called cannibal cop case, federal Judge Paul Gardephe made several rulings in court on Thursday. And in almost every instance, he ruled for the defense.
The defense lawyer for the former NYPD officer accused of plotting to kidnap, cook and eat women claimed in court Monday that prosecutors are panicking as their case against Gilberto Valle crumbles.
A federal judge said Wednesday that key evidence that the government has boasted about against an NYPD officer charged with seeking to kill and eat women might not be so clear after all.
Federal prosecutors said Monday that Gilberto Valle engaged in a grisly Internet chat with a man who said he was in India.
The proposed questionnaire from Gilberto Valle’s lawyers would ask potential jurors if they have a bias against people who frequent Internet sites depicting sadomasochistic behavior. A federal judge will rule on the request before Valle’s trial starts next month. He had previously been ordered held without bail.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied bail for Gilberto Valle on Tuesday.
With the trial set to begin in two weeks, the defense attorney for the infamous “cannibal cop” was hoping Wednesday that a judge would allow a key witness to testify.
Prosecutor Randall Jackson told the judge that Michael Vanhise took part in surveillance of targets of the plot and even sent pictures of his 7-year-old niece to other conspirators, suggesting the little girl as someone to be kidnapped and eaten.
Michael Vanhise, 23, of Trenton, New Jersey, was arrested on conspiracy to commit kidnapping charges. He appeared in federal court Friday in Manhattan.