The beaches were closed Friday night and all day Saturday due to a wastewater plant malfunction that released thousands of gallons of sewage into Oyster Bay Harbor, the Nassau County Department of Health said.
What looked like a winter wonderland was actually the result of a faulty pipe that leaked baking powder all over the woman’s home.
A carriage driver has been accused of altering a hoof brand to make a 22-year-old draft horse with a breathing ailment appear to be a healthier horse nearly half its age.
Fines will go down overall, but the city will maintain the letter grading system implemented by former mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2010.
So far, 16 cases have been identified including 9 children and 7 adults, officials said. Four people have been hospitalized.
The Rockland County Health Department said anyone who was at the mall this past Sunday, Feb. 2, between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. may have been exposed.
Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley says 65 percent of children aged 6 to 59 months received an influenza vaccination in the past year.
New York City’s Board of Health voted Wednesday in favor of the mandatory vaccine for children under 6. The initiative takes effect in 30 days and will be required for about 150,000 children.
The agency says that children under the age of six identified with lead poisoning declined 66 percent from 2005 to 2012.
Bloomberg said the city’s Clean Heat program has reduced toxic soot in the air by 23 percent in four years.
A popular Bronx restaurant remained closed on Saturday night following an outbreak of a very serious virus.
Health officials said Thursday a food handler at Westside Market on Broadway between 97th and 98th streets contracted hepatitis A.
The pesticide trucks will be spraying between 8:30 p.m. until 6 a.m. Thursday in Bayside, Douglaston, Glen Oaks, Little Neck and Oakland Gardens.
Project Hope was launched shortly after Sandy in November 2012 in order to provide crisis counseling and emotional support for those hit hardest by the storm.
The outbreak of meningitis among gay men has sickened four people already this year, increasing the number of cases to 17 since 2012, according to city health officials.