The search for human remains was set to begin Monday at the Lower Manhattan site where landing gear believed to be from a 9-11 plane was found.
About 60 truckloads – or 600 cubic yards – of debris that could contain tiny human bone fragments have been unearthed by construction crews working on the new World Trade Center tower in recent years. Investigators will spend 10 weeks trying to find remains in that debris.
The work began Monday and is expected to continue for about 10 weeks on Staten Island.
The grim and sad search for human remains in the debris from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks resumes Monday.
Police received a call about possible human remains inside bags on the sidewalk in the area of East 158th Street and Eagle Avenue in Melrose around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Nassau County Police said the remains appear to be of a woman between 20 and 30 years of age.
Detectives are reviewing missing person cases in an effort to identify the victim.
Morris County Prosecutor Robert Bianchi says the discovery was made at about noon Thursday by a landscaper working on Sylvan Drive, a little over a mile from the intersection of Interstates 80 and 287 in Parsippany.
Police said a Long Island Power Authority worker who was cutting trees near the Indian Head Forest Condo Complex found the remains around 8 a.m.
The remains were found near Raymond Boulevard and Van Buren Street not far from Penn Station.
Monique Keyes says confirmation of her former fiancee’s death will help her finally restart her life, that she met someone recently and they plan to get married this coming December.
The office of New York City’s medical examiner announced Tuesday that it had successfully matched a set of remains to 40-year-old Ernest James, who had been assumed dead in the Twin Towers’ collapse.
Some relatives of victims who died a decade ago at the World Trade Center are decrying a plan to place more than 9,000 unidentified pieces of human remains at the site of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.