The verdicts came Monday in a Manhattan trial that lasted nearly six months. The federal court trial was the first to result from the multi-decade fraud that landed Madoff in prison for 150 years.
The jury has the monumental task of sorting through five months of testimony to determine whether the ex-Madoff employees knew that their jobs involved perpetuating a massive Ponzi scheme.
prosecutor John Zach told jurors Tuesday that Madoff depended on his former secretary, his former head of operations, an account manager and two computer programmers to keep his fraud alive for four decades.
Daniel Bonventre has pleaded not guilty to fraud charges. Authorities say he cooked the books to throw off regulators.
The cross-examination of the government’s star witness in the trial of five of Bernard Madoff’s former empoyees has given the jury new insight into the way disgrace financier ran his massive Ponzi scheme.
Frank DiPascali testified that his boss would “razzle dazzle” auditors by using computer programs specially designed to make it appear that fake investments were real.
Bernard Madoff’s former right-hand man is about to take center stage at the trial of five former co-workers. Prosecutors plan to call Frank DiPascali to the witness stand this week in federal court in Manhattan.
Enrica Cotellessa-Pitz, who worked for Madoff for three decades, is testifying against five former colleagues in exchange for leniency.
The trial against five of Bernard Madoff’s former employees continued Wednesday with testimony from consultants who investigated the firm following Madoff’s arrest.
The trial follows the 2008 collapse of Madoff’s private investment business, which cost clients nearly $20 billion. A court-appointed trustee has recovered much of the money by forcing those customers who received big payouts from Madoff to return the funds.
Five former employees of imprisoned Ponzi scheme operator Bernard Madoff were introduced to 200 prospective jurors Tuesday, as jury selection began in their fraud trial.
The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
Picard said his firm is seeking about $69 million in funds deposited by the company’s customers and stolen in the 72-year-old’s vast Ponzi scheme.
The lawsuit alleges 23 counts of financial fraud and misconduct. It seeks to recover at least $2 billion to be distributed to Madoff victims.
Bongiorno and another former Madoff aide were arrested last week on conspiracy, securities fraud and other charges arising from the multibillion-dollar Ponzi scheme. They could each face decades in prison if convicted.