Pedro Hernandez pleaded not guilty in December to the murder charge in the death of 6-year-old Etan, who disappeared on his way to a school bus stop on May 25, 1979.
The defense of a man charged with killing a 6-year-old boy in 1979 will revolve around his mental state and a false confession to the crime, but he is not pursuing an insanity defense in the sensational case, his attorney said.
Pedro Hernandez, 51, did not speak during his brief court proceeding. His lawyer said he was fit to stand trial and a judge ordered him held without bail.
Attorney Harvey Fishbein says 51-year-old Pedro Hernandez is being charged in the disappearance of Etan Patz . Hernandez, of Maple Shade, N.J., confessed to the 1979 killing six-year-old Patz earlier this year.
Hernandez confessed to the 1979 killing six-year-old Patz earlier this year, but that remains the only evidence against him.
Jose Ramos was released from a Pennsylvania prison Wednesday then immediately arrested on a Megan’s Law violation after providing an outdated address of where he would be residing.
The man who was the prime suspect for years in a landmark child disappearance case is about to be released from a Pennsylvania prison where he has spent 20 years for molesting other children.
There was bombshell in court Thursday afternoon. You can now add conspiracy to commit murder to the alleged dirty deeds of ex-cop Jose Ramos. His wife was also charged in the plot.
Wearing an orange jumpsuit and seated with his hands behind his back, Pedro Hernandez was arraigned from his bedside at Bellevue Hospital via teleconference. He did not enter a plea.
On Saturday, sources reported that investigators discovered what they described as a suspicious stain on a concrete wall while tearing apart the basement. However, the FBI won’t conform those reports, and said that Sunday will be a painstaking process.
The renewed search for Etan Patz is continuing this weekend, and so far investigators haven’t found new evidence inside a SoHo building. FBI agents and the NYPD resumed their efforts this morning, looking for any sign of the boy who went missing three decades ago.
Work crews hauled in a dumpster as investigators began breaking up the concrete floor and busting through brick walls in the basement of 127 Prince Street looking for clues in the decades-old disappearance.
Fellow police officers packed the courtroom and stood outside to see the accused stand before the judge.