Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak says a new analysis of satellite data shows that the missing Malaysia Airlines plane plunged into the southern Indian Ocean.
A satellite image released by China on Saturday offered the latest sign that wreckage from a Malaysia Airlines plane lost for more than two weeks could be in a remote stretch of the southern Indian Ocean where planes and ships have been searching for three days.
Investigators are trying to restore files deleted last month from the home flight simulator of the pilot aboard the missing Malaysian plane to see if they shed any light on the disappearance, Malaysia’s defense minister said Wednesday.
Authorities also examined a flight simulator confiscated from the home of one of the pilots and dug through the background of all 239 people on board, as well as the ground crew that serviced the plane.
Officials in Malaysia are now saying they believe the missing plane’s movements following takeoff were deliberate but stopped short of saying it was hijacked.
Malaysian officials insisted that investigators had yet to reach a definitive conclusion on what radar and satellite data showed, and said the search was being expanded because efforts in current areas have not found any wreckage from the Boeing 777.
CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reported the two systems used to track Flight 370 were shut down sequentially, just before the Boeing 777 apparently changed course and turned west.
The stolen passports used by two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing last week has cast a troubling spotlight on a major gap.
Vietnamese air force planes on Saturday spotted two large oil slicks close to where a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 went missing earlier in the day, the first sign that the aircraft carrying 239 people had crashed.
The Boeing 777-200 aircraft, which was headed to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, had 227 passengers — including two infants — and 12 crew members on board, the airline said in a statement to CBS News.
A suspect has been arrested and charged in a Christmas Day shooting that left one man dead, and three others wounded, in Medford, Long Island.
Speaking Friday on his weekly WOR radio show, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said reaction from an anti-Islam film is “exactly what you should have expected.”