A Metropolitan Transportation Authority official said the “stupidity” of contracted workers led to a giant drill bit piercing the ceiling of a subway tunnel in Queens last month.
New York’s biggest subway hub has opened in Lower Manhattan, serving as a vital link between the new World Trade Center and the rest of the city.
Marc Newman blames construction for the East Side Access Project — an $11 billion new railroad, blasting and tunneling across Queens and under Manhattan — with rattling and ripping apart his refrigerator business.
The center will offer up-to-date information on the construction and feature interactive exhibits. It will also let residents get a feel for the coming subway line.
The worker was pulled out shortly after 12:30 a.m. Wednesday and is being treated for various injuries including hypothermia.
Blasting had been halted following an Aug. 21 incident that spewed debris, blew out windows and rattled some Upper East Siders’ nerves. All blasting projects for the subway project will now be subject to more scrutiny and protections, the MTA said.
Construction workers were blasting through rock to create an escalator for the Second Avenue subway when two 1,800-pound steel plates were lifted into the air, allowing debris to rain onto the street.
Upper East Side residents sat through the nearly hour and a half presentation at Hunter College in which the MTA reiterated claims it made last week — that there was no danger to public health.
The protesters, facing reduced foot traffic due to potential patrons avoiding construction, said it wasn’t enough for the MTA to promise what they called superficial improvements.