Ophadell Williams was cleared of the most serious charges against him in connection with the March 12, 2011 crash. He was found guilty of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the 3rd degree.
Williams was driving a tour bus from a Connecticut casino to Chinatown on March 12, 2011, when his bus veered off I-95 in the Bronx, and slammed into a signpost.
Ophadell Williams was driving a tour bus on a return trip to Chinatown from a Connecticut casino when the bus overturned and slammed into a pole on Interstate 95 in March, 2011.
Ren Yao, 63, said Thursday, “I just felt like everything was coming over me and the person who was sitting next to me just disappeared and I couldn’t say anything.”
In day two of testimony, Sonia Barlow of Old Saybrook told the court she and her husband observed the World Wide Tours bus swerving and straddling lanes.
Assistant District Attorney Gary Weil said a tour bus driver’s “reckless behavior” caused a crash that killed 15 people in the Bronx last year.
While presenting a report on the March 12, 2011 accident in Washington on Monday, NTSB Chairman Debbie Hersman said the 2011 crash was “dramatic” and “deadly.”
In what’s being called the “largest single safety crackdown” of the motor coach industry, federal officials have shut down 26 bus operations that transport more than 1,800 passengers a day along Interstate 95 from New York to Florida for safety violations.
A night of fun and gambling at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut ended with fifteen dead on I-95 on the Bronx – Westchester County Line, but the death didn’t end there.
“He could have taken steps, which would have avoided this great tragedy,” Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood was proposing tougher penalties for rogue tour bus operators and policy changes to make it easier to put them out of business.
Inspectors found no evidence that the tour bus that crashed last month, killing 15 people on their way home from a casino, was clipped by a tractor-trailer before it swerved and tipped over, federal regulators said Friday.
During a Senate Committee Hearing on motor coach safety, the NTSB chairman said a tour bus involved in a crash in The Bronx that killed 15 people on March 12 was barreling down the highway.
This week in the Tri-State area, we saw the continuing fallout from the Bronx bus crash that left 15 people dead, witnessed an unprecedented prosecution of ACS workers and received another visit from an unwelcome guest — old man winter.
Two school bus drivers in Queens have been arrested as part of a statewide crackdown on bus drivers following the horrific crash in the Bronx two weeks ago that left 15 people dead.
- Wax or Real? 'World War Z' Premiere Scaffold Collapse At Hearst... The 67th Annual Tony Awards...
- Stars Arrive At The 2013 Tony... Funeral For Frank Lautenberg Enterprise Pavilion Update Manhattanhenge 2013
- Apparent Home Explosion In... President Obama Visits Jersey... Memorial Day 2013 Shuttle Pavilion Update
- Tornado Devastates Moore,... Metro-North Derailment Repairs Bridgeport Metro-North Train... Eye On Manhattan