A New Jersey legislative committee has ordered current and former aides to Republican Gov. Chris Christie and two officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to testify in the committee’s probe of politically motivated traffic jams last year near the George Washington Bridge.
The work will include replacing the 82-year-old bridge’s 592 suspender ropes and rehabilitating all of the span’s main cables. New technology will warn engineers of potential structural problems.
In January, Port Authority executive director Pat Foye wrote to four airlines demanding their contractors give raises to workers at JFK and LaGuardia and phase in a minimum wage of $10.10.
Internal squabbling at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has taken a new turn.
Gov. Christie says he began asking about the traffic jams in Fort Lee last year soon after he heard they were a source of contention.
The agency’s executive director, Patrick Foye – appointed by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat – sent a letter Tuesday to four airlines demanding that their contractors give an immediate $1-an-hour pay raise to workers at New York City’s Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.
A New Jersey State Assembly panel released hundreds of pages of internal documents Friday afternoon as federal prosecutors and others examine the case.
Deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly’s employment was terminated Thursday morning effective immediately, Gov. Chris Christie said.
Assemblyman John Wisniewski said his office is examining about 5,000 documents from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and its top two state appointees.
Three Port Authoritiy officials testified Monday that there was no traffic study being conducted while access lanes from Fort Lee on the George Washington Bridge were closed in September, as was originally claimed.
Shutting down the access lanes from Fort Lee onto the bridge caused hours-long delays for four straight days beginning Sept. 9 and infuriated local officials who said they hadn’t been notified in advance.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey came under fire Monday for unannounced lane closures at the George Washington Bridge last month, which caused massive traffic headaches.
Two of the three lanes approaching the GWB tolls caused gridlock over four straight days beginning Sept. 9. The lanes were reopened following rush hour on Sept. 13.
The non-profit World Trade Center Association got the naming rights without the approval of the Port Authority’s board or executive director, according to the governor’s office.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is spending $59 million to prepare its facilities for the upcoming hurricane season. The Port Authority’s Board of Commissioners approved the money at its monthly meeting Wednesday.