So far, the state has funding for 424 buyouts statewide. The Department of Environmental Protection said 169 property owners have accepted buyout offers in South River and Sayreville.
Three days after Sandy devastated the Rockaways, Paul Lurrie started snapping pictures. Lurrie said for months the landscape around Belle Harbor, Neponset and Breezy Point remained the same.
Meantime, nearly a year after Sandy hit, residents of the Rockaways said there is still much work to be done despite some big progress.
Mayor George Nebel said the recalculation is necessary due to the severe damage the Ocean County borough sustained in the storm.
A new schedule will take effect Sunday that reflects rail operations systemwide with 697 out of 700 trains that were running before superstorm Sandy.
Sandy submerged the library in five feet of water, destroying more than 20,000 books.
On Monday, Donovan a report that makes 69 recommendations for developing a strategy for rebuilding areas damaged by Sandy.
The report released Monday by the Hurricane Sandy Rebuilding Task Force says coastal communities should assume floods are going to happen more frequently and realize that spending more now on protective measures could save money later.
The agency’s plan called for moving its trains to higher ground before superstorm Sandy hit, raising additional questions about why the agency instead moved locomotives and rail cars to low-lying rail yards.
“The best thing we can offer somebody is to have a little bit of peace of mind in a tense situation,” Jeff O’Neil with the Red Cross said.
Homeowners in the nine hardest-hit counties in the state can use the $10,000 grants for any non-construction purpose.
Connecticut’s two U.S. senators are meeting with federal, state and local officials to discuss rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy and steps that can be taken to blunt future storm damage.
Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray said residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed can make improvements to protect against another major storm.
Islip is among the last of Long Island’s beaches to open after Sandy’s devastating blow.
Officer Jonas Guisao, a 20-year veteran of the force, works out of the 60th Precinct, which was destroyed when Sandy roared ashore.