CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

Walt Whitman Shops

Town of Hempstead Supervisor holds a carbon monoxide detector as she pushes for a law requiring their use at places of public assembly, Feb. 25, 2014. (credit: Sophia Hall/WCBS 880)

Hempstead Town Supervisor Wants Mandatory CO Detectors At Most Public Places

Officials on Long Island continue to push for laws requiring businesses to install carbon monoxide detectors following the death of a restaurant manager over the weekend.

02/25/2014

Authorities outside the Legal Sea Foods at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station where a man died and dozens more were sickened by a carbon monoxide leak, Feb. 22, 2014 (credit: Jim Powers/1010 WINS)

Lawmaker Calls For Mandatory Carbon Monoxide Detectors Following Death At LI Mall

Restaurant manager Steven Nelson, 55, was found dead in the basement of Legal Sea Foods Saturday night. More than two dozen other people were sent to hospitals for treatment.

02/24/2014

EMS workers arrive at the Walt Whitman Shops following a carbon monoxide leak on Feb. 22, 2014. (credit: CBS 2)

Water Heater Pipe Blamed In Deadly L.I. Mall Carbon Monoxide Leak

The fumes were circulated in the basement by the ventilation systems at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops on Long Island, Huntington Chief Fire Marshal Terence McNally said.

02/23/2014