Tale Of The Tape: Citi Field Vs. Yankee Stadium
- OUTFIELD DIMENSIONS (from left to right)335-358-385-408-398-375-330. Very tough ballpark to hit home runs in ... unless you're the visiting team.318-399-408-385-314. Short porch in right -- 60 percent of the time it works every time.
- BALLPARK HISTORYA Johan Santana no-hitter and a lot of disappointment.A World Series title in its first year of operation (2009) and a lot of winning.
- DESIGNModeled after Ebbets Field. Fans enter through a breathtakingly gorgeous rotunda. The ballpark has a classic feel to it and is absolutely stunning from every angle.Features architectural elements from the old Yankee Stadium. Beautiful exterior. The one thing that jumps out at you is how big the place is.
- BALLPARK EXPERIENCEThe sightlines are excellent, though the quality of baseball is the exact opposite. That said, there are plenty of amenities throughout the ballpark -- including a wiffle ball field and dunk tank in center field -- to still make a fun trip out of it.It's more corporate than fan friendly, but it's still a nice place to watch a ballgame. Also, your odds of seeing a win are relatively high most years.
- AFFORDABILITYYou can get Mets tickets for around 11 bucks these days, and the overall experience isn't too costly.Yankees tickets are expensive, both at the box office and online. It's not a cheap date.
Sure, the baseball isn't as good. But taking the entire ballpark experience into account, a trip to Citi Field can be a lot of fun, especially if you're taking the kids to the game. It may not have cost as much to build, but I think the rotunda and classic interior make it the nicer of the two. Hey, who says the Mets can't be better than the Yankees at something? -- Daniel Friedman, CBS New York contributor