Spring is arriving in New York City and with it, the season of sidewalk, yard, garage and estate sales. This gives everyone a chance to discover new treasures as they stroll down the New York streets visiting different sales. Estate sales are a wonderful opportunity to view beautiful homes and find gorgeous furnishings. While these are usually organized and run by professionals, most folks plan their own weekend sales using yards, garages and streets to sell off furnishings that have been long forgotten.
It is important to be prepared when planning a sale. Take the advice from professionals and do the homework needed to investigate the worth of your items and then price accordingly. Remember, price items to sell and leave some room for buyers who will want to negotiate. Hold a sale and cash in on the fantastic opportunity to purge the home of unwanted items and get paid to have it all taken away.
1. Organization is the key to success. Crates and bins are perfect for organizing and sorting out the sale items. The Sterilite Storage Crate is the perfect solution for arranging items to entice buyers. Purchase a few to stack for easy keeping as you organize the goodies by type and color. Crates are perfect for books, albums, tools, hardware and scarves. When the sale is over, use the empty crates to better organize the basement or to collect old newspapers and recyclables.
2. Be table ready to have a great sale. The proper surface to show the offerings is important to closing the sale. Folding tables are easy to store and use as well as portable for quick set up and clean up. A six foot folding table with a table cloth should show off the treasures in the proper fashion to attract the buyers. When the sale is over, set the table for a picnic dinner to thank everyone who has helped you with your sale.
3. Advertise and price to sell. Without the proper marketing, no one will know that you are holding a sale. Get out the Sharpie Chisel Tip markers and make some signs to entice the buyers. Make sure that they are clear with the address and times of the sale. Hang them in prominent spots around the neighborhood with arrows pointing towards the sale location. Place circle stickers on each piece to be sold with a well researched price.
4. Get ready to take in the cash. Before the sale begins, make sure that you have plenty of coins and singles to make change for anxious buyers. It is important to keep the money well organized and counted. The best solution is to use a cash box. They are light enough to easily carry around from customer to customer. A cash box also provides a lock for extra safe keeping from prying fingers.
5. Have an outlet available to test appliances and play music to lure. Impress the potential buyers by being power ready to test any appliances and plug in devices that you are selling. Add some music to get everyone into the shopping mood. The Black & Decker Power Station Radio plays radio favorites from stereo speakers. A handy battery operating station can provide a place for customers to plug in and test any devices to prove that they work. If you have an inside outlet within reach of the sale, be customer ready with a long extension cord snaked through a window.
These local businesses should be able to help you get started with ease.
1220 3rd Ave at 70th St
New York, NY 10021
Hours: Mon to Fri- 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Price: Sterilite Storage Crate $9.99
Rainbow Ace Hardware
1449 1st Ave (between 75th St & 76th St)
New York, NY 10021
Hours: Mon to Fri 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Price: six foot folding table $59.99
Jam Paper & Envelope
466 Lexington Ave. (btwn 45th & 46th Street)
New York, NY 10017
Hours: Mon to Thurs- 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Fri- 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat to Sun- 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Price: Circle Label Sticker Seals $7.50, Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Marker $4, Sharpie Chisel Tip Marker $4
193 7th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Hours: Mon to Fri- 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat- 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Sun- 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Price: 11×7-3/4×4-Inch Blue Cash/ Storage Box $14.99
8111 5th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11209
Hours: Mon to Thurs- 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Fri- 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Sun- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Price: Black & Decker Power Station Radio $129.95, 50 foot extension cord $19.99
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSNewYork/YourHome.
Carol Ruth Weber began her career as a Theatrical Costume and Set Designer and segued into the world of Interior Design. As an interior designer she has twenty-eight years of experience in all phases of the business. You can read more of her work on Examiner.com and she can also be contacted at WeberLifeDesign.