When your child is itching to do something and you need to get out of the house, the perfect choice is a good Mommy and Me class. CBSNewYork has researched and found the best spots for young children and their moms—who also need to sing, dance, play and basically have some fun.
129A West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
(212) 255-2050With great classes like “Mom and Toddler Yoga” and “3’s and 4’s Princess Series”, the gorgeous City Treehouse is tops on our list. City Treehouse’s philosophy is “Learning through Play” and they do “play” better than most. Slightly pricey, but they do have a great $10 first-timers class.
222-14 Union Turnpike
Queens, NY 11427
(718) 740-1616Thinkertots has a location in Bayside and is focused on language development through play (one of their classes is called “SuperSmart”). We like Thinkertots because they don’t crowd all kids into one developmental category—2 to 4 year olds can go to a drop-off class or a Mommy and Me class, depending on their needs.
New York, NY 10025
(646) 434-1419The popular Kindermusik program is offered through ABC Do-Re-Mi with six locations in Manhattan. “Our Time”, a class for 18 months through 3 year-olds, is a full music and movement experience for child and caregiver, while “Imagine That” for 3 year-olds to 5 year-olds has a special “Family Sharing Time” during the last ten minutes of class for caregivers to join in.
Shanti Baby Yoga and Wellness
Brooklyn, NY 11209
(646) 823-7261Kids aged 3 to 6 have a choice of doing a drop-off class or twisting themselves into a pretzel next to Mom or Dad in Shanti Kids Yoga classes. Michelle, the owner, is a big fan of baby and kid yoga, having been introduced at an early age by her own mother, and makes these classes a true bonding time.
Kids at Work NYC
39 W 14th Street, Suite 508
New York, NY 10011
(347) 933-8293You can’t go wrong with classes called “Jam Session” and “Mess It Up.” Combining science, art and critical thinking in fun, innovative (and messy) ways, Kids at Work is great for parents and children. They also allow an older sibling to attend with kids in appropriate situations.
Music Together of Staten Island
272 Watchogue Road
Staten Island, NY 10314
The popular Music Together program in the Westerleigh section of Staten Island (with additional classes at the JCC) is a tested and proven commodity. Engaging 45 minute classes utilizing song, movement and instruments make both Mommy and child happy. The take-home songbook and CDs are also fun for the whole family.
Shari Simpson-Cabelin is a blogger with Dusty Earth Mother.