NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A retired New York City firefighter was on his death bed when the House voted down a bill that was to provide health benefits to Sept. 11 first responders.
Before 63-year-old Vincent Albanese died, he made a passionate plea that his family is determined to carry out.READ MORE: Supply Chain Issues: 'There Really Are Problems Everywhere,' Even For Small Companies
Kelly Albanese says her father asked them to “speak out on behalf of the fallen and the people who are continuing to fall.”
“We want to do whatever we can to make sure that my father’s wish comes to fruition,” she said.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine 'Mix-And-Match' Study Finds Moderna Booster After J&J Single-Shot Produced Major Increase In Antibodies
The family is planning to launch a campaign to get the federal 9/11 health bill revived.
“This would make him extremely happy, just going down to Washington and fighting” his widow, Christine, said.
Albanese lost his battle with bladder cancer on Saturday. His family believes Albanese died because of toxic dust he inhaled at the Ground Zero site. Albanese was a firefighter with the FDNY for 38 years.MORE NEWS: Woman In Critical Condition After Being Struck By Sanitation Truck In Dyker Heights, Brooklyn
A funeral will be held in Huntington Station Thursday.