NEW YORK (CBS 2) — Back pain affects so many people that it’s the top cause of disability in the workplace – but it’s not easy to treat.

Now, patients suffering from one type of back pain have an incredible new option for relief.

Lumbar spinals stenosis is one of the most common form of chronic back pain, affecting more than one million Americans.

Until now, it was generally treated just with pain medications or a major surgical procedure. Now, a new, minimally invasive approach is changing that – and getting patients back on their feet faster.

For two years, Gracie Patterson’s back pain has been debilitating.

“Sometimes, in the morning, I can’t even get out of bed,” she said.

Even basic activities, like walking up stairs, weren’t possible for Patterson, but traditional back surgery was not an option.

“Six to eight months of recovery, I can’t do that,” she said. “I have a special needs child.”

Like millions of Americans, Gracie’s spinal nerves have gotten squeezed, causing the pain. To relieve the pressure, surgeons traditionally carve out some bone – but that weakens the spine.

A new procedure changes that, as a series of needles and live X-rays help map the target area and the nerve area. Then, through a tiny incision, a metal tub is aligned. Instruments begin shaving a little bone, but mostly enlarged ligament.

“We’ll do it in bites and free up that ligament,” spine surgeon Dr. Pawan Grover said.

Patterson is on the mend after undergoing the procedure, and she’s hopeful.

“It’s just a second chance,” she said.

The procedure has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and some insurance covers it. It’s also generally done in under an hour, and patients can go home the same day with just a Band-Aid on their back.

Comments (21)
  1. Suzanne Trobe says:

    I did not see the segment but was told about it. My mother had back surgery for stenosis, degenerated, herniated disk. She has 2 rods in her spine and still has the spinal arthiritis. Would she be a candidate for this procedure?

  2. Michele Vaccarello says:

    The name of the procedure is called mild and there are physicians around the NJ,NY, and Conn. area that are doing it.

    1. laura says:

      what is the name of the procedure?? need to find doctor in NY/NJ..thanks

      1. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

        Please call Vertos Medical at 949-349-0008 to learn more about physicians in your area.

    2. Cynthia Held says:

      What doctors in norther nj are proforming the mild procedure?

  3. Mrs Stein says:

    I spoke to the Dr’s office today who did this. His name is Dr. Pawan Grover, MD
    713-9816611. His name is in the story Holly Phillips did– I just used Google.
    I think he can help my husband and with our traffic congestion here, its probably easier to get to Houston anyway my husband said and he likes what he saw in this story.

  4. Mira says:

    Please give the name of the surgeon who was on TV .Thanks

  5. Ronnie Sandler says:

    Please give the names of surgeons in New York

  6. James says:

    What’s the procedure called?

    1. Ronald Salomon says:

      I also would love to have the name of his procedure.

      1. Joel Koss says:

        I also wouild like to know the name of this procedure.
        I would also like to kniow the name of doctors in NJ whom perform this procedure.

    2. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

      mild. Please visit our website at to learn more

  7. MARIE BURK says:


    1. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

      Please call Vertos Medical at 949-349-0008 to find out about physicians in your area. Also, you can visit our website at to learn more about the mild procedure

  8. Ritch Gaiti says:

    Where can I get this done in NJ???

    1. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

      Please call Vertos medical at 949-349-0008 to learn more about physicians in your area

  9. Patricia Fielding says:

    would you let me know names of Doctors that do this surgery in New York

    1. Dave Herscher says:

      Would like namejs of doctors who do this surgery in New York.

    2. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

      Please call Vertos Medical at 949-349-0008 to get information about physicians in your area.

  10. joe szutyanyi says:

    would it be possible to get the names of any Dr that do this in new jersey

    1. Ann Deren-Lewis says:

      Please call Vertos Medical at 949-349-0008 or visit our website at www. to learn more and find a doctor in your area.

Leave a Reply