NEW YORK (CBS 2/AP) —YouTube has removed from its site videos featuring calls to holy war by an al-Qaida-linked Muslim cleric after pressure from British and U.S. officials.
YouTube spokeswoman Victoria Grand said the videos by Anwar al-Awlaki violated the site’s guidelines prohibiting “incitement to commit violent acts.”READ MORE: Police: Woman Wanted For Punching MTA Bus Driver In Manhattan
YouTube reportedly made the move after a British official urged the videos be removed.
Democratic New York Rep. Anthony Weiner also sent letters to the Google-owned company listing hundreds of videos featuring the U.S.-born Yemeni cleric. Weiner says the company took his request more seriously after last week’s attempted mail bombings from Yemen.READ MORE: Lionel Virgile, Accused Of Throwing Bleach And Molotov Cocktail At NYPD, Facing Federal Charges
YouTube says it doesn’t comment on specific videos on its site.
The fugitive cleric has inspired a string of attempted attacks against the West.MORE NEWS: Dr. Fauci Expects Decision On Whether To Resume Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccine By Friday
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)