NEW YORK (CBS 2/WCBS 880) – After months of opposition from New York officials, the trial for the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 terror attacks may not happen any soon.
Khalid Sheik Mohammed will likely remain in military detention without trial indefinitely, according to The Washington Post.READ MORE: President Biden Vows To Nominate First Black Woman To U.S. Supreme Court
The paper is reporting that the trial—civilian or military—is not expected to happen before the next presidential election.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Gov.-Elect Andrew Cuomo and other local officials were adamant that Mohammed and four co-conspirators were not to be tried here in the city.
“Commissioner Kelly has estimated the security costs to be more than $200 million a year. We’re talking about a trial that could go on for several years. Lower Manhattan would be turned into an armed camp,” Rep. Peter King of Long Island said.READ MORE: Investigation Into Illegal Guns Leads To More Than 100 Weapons, 12 Arrests In Putnam And Westchester Counties
LISTEN: Rep. Peter King speaks with WCBS 880
LISTEN: Rep. King says “good chance” detainees will continue to be held without trial
Just last week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said his team is close to making a decision on the trial, but the White House also said no final decision on the issue has been made.MORE NEWS: Teenage Girl In Critical Condition After Exiting MTA Bus, Getting Hit By Truck In Brooklyn