NEW YORK (CBS 2/1010 WINS) –The Red Cross is coming to the aid of families displaced in a Bronx apartment building fire Saturday night that left one dead and seven others hurt.

Fresh meals are being hand delivered to P.S. 64 in Mount Eden.  The school has become a Red Cross emergency center for about 50 of the more than 120 people who were forced out of their homes following the fire, CBS 2’s Derrick Dennis reported.

READ MORE: Dr. Howard Zucker Stepping Down As New York State Health Commissioner

1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reports

“You’re out of your home, you don’t know the state of your belongings. You know it’s cold out and the holiday season, etc.  It’s a hard time,” Katie Hill of the Red Cross said.

Clotilde Vives (Photo/CBS 2)

The blaze broke out just before 10 p.m. Saturday in the lobby of a five-story apartment building at 169th Street and the Grand Concourse in the Mount Eden section of the Bronx.

The flames and smoke then quickly spread to the top floor as more than 60 firefighters responded.

Clotilde Vives was in her pajamas when she and her family had to leave the burning building.  The Red Cross has stepped in to help by providing new clothing.

READ MORE: Search Continues For Gabby Petito's Fiancé Brian Laundrie In Florida's Vast Carlton Reserve

“I had to get clothes and shoes. My kids had to get clothes and shoes too,” she told reporters including CBS 2’s Derrick Dennis.

Kwame McMillan (Photo/CBS 2)

Kwame McMillan was home in his first floor apartment with his grandmother when the fire broke out and said the only sound he heard was glass breaking.

“I just came, opened my door and there was fire all in my hallway — from the top of the ceiling to the walls to the floor,” McMillan said.

Several people were hurt trying to get out, one jumped from a window, an elderly woman fell from a fire escape.

The 46-year-old man who died in the blaze was found collapsed in a stairwell of the building.

MORE NEWS: New Yorkers Can Enter To Win Free Giants, Jets And Bills Tickets With COVID Vaccine

“It went to a second alarm pretty quickly. Fire Department was on the scene, taking care of what they usually do here in the City. Some did have to go to the hospital,” said John Cruz of the Red Cross.