Sources: Text Sent To Son-In-Law -- 'Couldn't Take It Anymore'

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There was a gruesome discovery inside a Staten Island home on Tuesday that touched off a manhunt. The husband of the victim eventually surrendered to police.

His wife was found strangled in their home, leaving many wondering why.

READ MORE: NYPD: Man Stabbed In Thigh During Robbery In Theater District

Friends, family and rabbis leaving the 122nd Precinct on Tuesday evening had no comment. The precinct is where 64-year-old Arthur Rubin spent hours being questioned by detectives in the death of his 63-year-old wife, Eva.

The investigation is centered at the family home in the 200 block of Crafton Avenue in the Willowbrook section of the borough. Neighbors were stunned.

“I’m completely shocked, terrible tragedy. I knew the husband a little bit, one of the daughters. Terrible tragedy,” neighbor Adam Negnewitzky told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis.

Neighbor Nancy Shrem said Arthur Rubin was just at her house last week.

“I can’t believe it. He’s a very nice guy,” Shrem said.

The couple lived in the two-family house with two of their five grown children. Police said at around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday they were called after a son-in-law reported finding his mother-in-law dead. She had been strangled, found with choke marks on her neck.

Sources said the son-in-law received a text message earlier in the day from the husband, saying “I’m sorry… couldn’t take it anymore.”

READ MORE: Connecticut Man Who Tested Positive For Omicron Variant Resting At Home With Mild Symptoms, Gov. Lamont Says

Word spread among members at the family’s synagogue, Young Israel of Staten Island, as they arrived for evening prayer.

“Would just like to have an explanation, what happened?” synagogue member Norman Koller said.

Many said they know the Rubins well, as dedicated orthodox Jews. However, sources said Arthur Rubin took off and was missing for a time. He had been last seen leaving the home in the couple’s green colored, Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. Sources also said he may have tried to commit suicide before finally turning himself in to police for questioning, at the urging of a rabbi.

“It’s shocking. It’s hard to believe, knowing both of them, that something like this could happen,” Koller said

The medical examiner will have to determine the exact cause of death.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

MORE NEWS: Family OK, But Material Losses Significant As Fire Destroys North Bellmore Home