NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Authorities said a woman whose Brooklyn apartment had no electricity was killed when a fire swept through her candlelit home.

According to the New York Post, the 53-year-old resident was pronounced dead at a hospital following Thursday’s fire.

Authorities said the apartment had no power because of a broken fuse box.

The Post said a teenager who had been staying at the apartment notified neighbors of the 4:15 a.m. blaze. It says the woman had complained about the lack of power to management of the housing project.

Housing Authority officials declined to comment.

Sound off in our comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)