NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Verizon worker was electrocuted while working in Brooklyn Wednesday.
1010 WINS’ Al Jones reports that shortly before noon the worker was threading FiOS cable through tree branches at Christopher and New Lotts Avenues in Brownsville when he got tangled up in a power line.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine In New York: Javits Center Vaccination Site Now Open 24 Hours
1010 WINS’ Al Jones with witnesses
Leonard McCleod, who lives near the scene, said he heard screaming.READ MORE: Paramedic Speaks Out About Being Bitten On Face During Routine Call In Brooklyn: 'We Need Better Protection'
“It is a horrible thing to leave to come to work in the morning and never know that you’re not coming back,” he said. “It’s a tragedy.”
A witness said he saw sparks and then the worker caught fire.
Verizon crew members brought the lift bucket down and extinguished the fire, but the worker was pronounced dead at the scene.MORE NEWS: Senate Passes Biden's $1.9 Trillion COVID Relief Bill
The incident is under investigation.