Lenox Hill Hospital Issues Statement, Calls Media Reports Inaccurate

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Beyonce and Jay-Z welcomed their daughter Blue Ivy Carter this weekend, and issued the following statement Monday:

Hello Hello Baby Blue!  We are happy to announce the arrival of our beautiful daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, born on Saturday, January 7, 2012.  Her birth was emotional and extremely peaceful, we are in heaven.  She was delivered naturally at a healthy 7 lbs and it was the best experience of both of our lives.

We are thankful to everyone for all your prayers, well wishes, love and support.

– Beyoncé & JAY Z

However, the joyous occasion has landed Lenox Hill Hospital in the middle of a controversy.

One new parent at the hospital is furious, claiming Blue Ivy’s arrival kept them from spending time with their own newborns in intensive care.

Neil Nash-Coulon of Bedford-Stuyvesant said hospital security kept putting the hallway on lockdown to accommodate Beyonce’s visitors.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports: All Babies Are Not Created Equal

“People don’t need to be treated like this when dealing with sick children,” Coulon said.

Coulon said Lenox Hill Hospital kept his family out of the waiting area.

“They should have been more strategic with where they put her,” Coulon said. “You can’t cordon off the [Neonatal Intensive Care Unit]. These are small newborns who need care, and you’re just going to take over the hospital like you own it?”

Furious new dad Edgar Ramirez told CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez the superstars’ security wouldn’t let him into the intensive care unit to see his newborn daughter, Charlotte.

“I was arguing with the security guards to go see my baby. ‘Why not? We can’t, we can’t.’ I couldn’t see my baby until three hours later because of the security,” Ramirez said.

Lenox Hill Hospital Executive Director Frank Danza issued the following statement in response to what he calls inaccurate news media reports regarding the presence of the Carter family at the hospital:

Lenox Hill Hospital and its staff were delighted to welcome the Carter family for the birth of their firstborn on Saturday evening, but we are troubled by the misinformation being circulated in some news media reports. The suggestion that the couple paid $1.3 million to rent an entire maternity floor is simply not true. The family is housed in an executive suite at the hospital and is being billed the standard rate for those accommodations.

Our executive suites are available for any patient, including the food service and amenities provided to the Carter family.

The family does have its own security detail on site. However, the hospital has been and continues to be in control of managing all security at the facility. We have made every effort to ensure minimal disruption to other families experiencing the births of their own children over the past three days. No security plan that we or the Carter’s security team put in place would have prevented or delayed families from gaining access to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and to date, no families have complained to the hospital about being denied access to the NICU.

Lenox Hill Hospital takes patient privacy and safety very seriously. And while we congratulate the Carter family on the birth of their child, we value the loyalty of ALL of our patients and always strive to ensure a positive experience, knowing that the birth of a child is a wonderful moment producing memories that last a lifetime.”

Coulon said his family and other patients affected deserve an apology.

“We shouldn’t have to deal with drama because they’re superstars… It isn’t fair,” he said.

Patient advocates said if the allegations are true the hospital needs to make ammends.

“When their privacy interferes with the privacy of other rights of patients or rights of other families who are caring for those parents, that’s really when the line is crossed,” Dr. Paul Appelbaum told CBS 2’s Sanchez.

Sound off in our comments section below.

Comments (504)
  1. Piper says:

All of you who want to politicize this and blame Obama should just stick to the story. He had nothing to do with this. I’d sue the hospital I used to work at Duke Hospital and they have celebrities all the time and no one has ever tried to pull that kind of behavior. When the Queen of Saudi Arabia was here, they blocked off a set of rooms on a ward and had a guard at the door. No one was affected and everyone had total access to everything in the hospital. Even Teddy Kennedy didn’t act like that when he was here.

1. tod schwarze says:

he has everything to do with it, as he is now the foremost representative of ghetto culture,, where aggression is currency and violence or implied violence is parmount in establising dominance.
      There is no socialization possible with ghetto culture, no kindness or forgivness to outsiders possible.
      Look to the afrikan continent to see how it will be here, tribalism and not a single square foot of human kindness or respect for others, such are the dreams of the ‘father’ ( if you ignore malcolm).
      Such are the express goals for dear leader, and such are the antisocial methods of his shock troops

2. OWS Supporter says:

JAY-Z is NOT a supported of OCCUPY WALL STREET. He designed shirts that sought to PROFIT off the movement. He NEVER donated money or time to the movement. He is a disgraceful, highly greedy individual who let money and success change the psychology.get the “best” of them.

3. tod schwarze says:

Why did they not have the blessed child in some harlem hospital so that it wouldnt have to be so protected against antibamomba racisses?

4. Satan says:

PRAISE JAHBULON….

5. skinsrock says:

People are stupid & don’t think past their own agendas… Do you know what that baby is worth on the free market? How much ransom could you get from 2 people who’s net worth is probably somewhere between 400 – 700 million? Be glad they were protecting your baby at the same time.

6. Piper says:

All of you folks who want to politicize this and bring Obama in to this ahoud just stick to the story. He has nothing to do with this. As far as what happened, I’d sue the hospital.

7. PaPa Joe says:

Wow ! What a can of worms this story has opened.

8. Mike Burns says:

These so called “music celebrities” have no class , only the money they make off stupid white kids parents who buy their crap rap music. Reminds me of the tasteless two idiots living in the White House spending and wasting our tax money on stupid things such as Solyndra,Beacon,Fisker,the stim-use-less program,,cash 4 clunkers,Chevy Volt,Boeing, and don’t forget the $160,000.00 in taxpayer money the Obamas spent for their White House – “Alice and Wonderland Halloween Party”.
    People with “Old Money” spend it with class, People with “new found money” spend like an ass……And shame on this money hungry Lenox Hill Hospital for shutting out other parents of ICU babies.

9. Shifrah says:

Why is everyone blaming the entertainers? It’s the hospital that is responsible. The entertainers just paid for privacy, they didn’t stipulate that people be separated from their babies in intensive care. It was the hospital’s decision to do that. It was the hospitals responsibility to find a way to give them the privacy they paid for – they should have just separated the couple from everyone else instead of cutting off people from being with their children. Do you really think that the entertainers specifically paid the hospital to keep parents from seeing their own children?

1. Vince says:

Yes! They SPECIFICALLY didn’t want ANYONE near their precious little bundle. So they specifically wanted to keep other parents away even if it meant denying them the right to see their own babies. You got it.

10. Amazed says:

Shame on Lenox Hill. It is the hospital’s responsibility to control the situation. It should be sued by the other parents. Its legitimate donors should stop donating. Of course the phony OWS-supporting celebs are selfish, ignorant, hypocritical a-holes. But it is and was the hospital’s responsibility. It could have said NO. And just who are Jay-Z and Beyonce? What of substance have they done to improve the world?

1. Vince says:

What have they done? You mean besides contributing to the degeneracy of the youth?

11. Mike franks says:

Fire the whole staff

12. RoyAllen says:

Everyone thinks that their baby is special,but this is total insanity…………The hospital should be fined,and the hospital administrator fired,for allowing this to happen

13. Mike Amerine says:

All of you fools posting comments that center around the color of someone’s skin should just crawl back into your hole. There is a problem here but it’s not the ethnicity of the people involved. It shouldn’t have even been POSSIBLE for ANYONE to buy restrictions like this at a hospital. Blame the hospital. The parents could have been any color or any religion and the privilege should not have been for sale. Do you really think there are no “white” people that seek privileges? Is the hospital that screwed this all up run by a bunch of “blacks” too? Stop with the irrelevant posts, already.

1. Vince says:

Hey Mike, I saw ONE comment that mentioned skin color. Are you that paranoid? Are their black bogey men hiding in your closet at night?

1. Mike Amerine says:

Thanks for the personal attack based upon your inability to read. Are you saying that there’s something wrong with what I said or are you just looking to complain about something? If you can only find “one comment that mentioned skin color”, that’s not my fault, they’re everywhere in this thread.

14. Melanee Schwind says:

With this I will boycott their music, oh wait I don’t like their music anyway, so that will be an easy boycott… as a parent if I was told I couldn’t see my child because of some stupid famous person they would have to arrest me cause no one will keep me from my kids. But really is anyone surpised by this? Fame always truimphs over us non famous

15. tod schwarze says:

and you know, when this child of lagvish entitlement and privilege grows up, it will think it was oppressed, because that’s what it will be taught

16. J Johnson says:

This kind of junk would not happen if we would stop acting like we whorship these people. I can understand them having security but this is stupid. I never liked them before but really would not listen to her music now.

17. Mom of 4 says:

If i had a baby in that newborn wing, and wasn’t allowed to see it because of some self-absorbed celebrity who had a baby, I would have caused such a stink that I would have been arrested. You DO NOT keep a mom or dad from their newborn child, I don’t care how much money you have. I think every parent who had a baby in that hospital should sue the hospital and Beyonce and JayZ. It is absolutely abominable what happened. How anyone could be so hard-hearted to keep parents from their children goes beyond all reason and understanding. I have never been a fan of Beyonce – I think she is a mediocre singer and completely over-rated. JayZ – don’t get me started. Rap isn’t music. I have no respect for these people and reading this article made my blood boil. Who do these people think they are? UGH! I need a blood pressure pill.

1. Melanee Schwind says:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

18. jimmy kirkpatrick says:

I bet the kid looked like a little baby ruth rapper.

19. Chukkal says:

Money is the root of all evil and these folks seem to have more than their share!

20. lotta says:

I hate these people. That’s gonna be one ugly baby,assuming Jayz is the father. You never know with these people. (sniff)

21. tod schwarze says:

basketball americans, sheesh,A few years after my granparents arrived here, they said that white people someday would be pushed off the sidewalks into the street and enslaved by basletball americans seeking ‘revenge’ for their own lack of maturity.
    And so it comes to pass, whites are being kicked in the ass on an industrial scale

22. tax payer says:

Lets see
    Mega Rich
    Democrat (very pro Obama)
    Black
    Thinks her stool doesn’t stink
    Other parents be dammed

Sound about right!

1. Shirley Temple says:

No more like:

Mega Rich,
      Privatized the hospital floor,
      Defended their right to privacy because they earned it.

This is capitalism. If you don’t like it, move out of the United $tate$ of America.

1. tax payer says:

Move out?
        When the dollar becomes toilet paper I more than likely will

1. Shirley Temple says:

good.

23. Fed-up says:

Two non-talented blacks with oodles of money who white morons have made rich…what is it about blacks when they are on top? There is not a shred of humility…take our arrogant POTUS and his wife for instance. The hospital wanted the money…its all about money. They treated the parents of sick children and new born babies incredibly unprofessional. Kind of sickening. Sue them and Beyonce and her Jay-Z…hey, they can afford it.

I am fed-up and can’t wait for the election.

1. Mike Amerine says:

What the hell does this have to do with the color of anyone’s skin? There are enough false accusations of racism these days being used as a personal attack against men and women all over this nation and then a fool like you goes and adds fuel to the fire by actually demonstrating that it is a problem in some areas.

24. Bilford Rielly says:

laffin’atcha –

If they didn’t pay for the Intensive care area where the other child was – there is something called ‘easement’. Look it up. Other wise denying access for what ever time to other parents and babies – well the bill for all that time, for ALL,who were inconvienced should fall into JayZ’z lap!

What the hell is a JayZ? Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex..

25. Curtis S. Lawson says:

Joseph and Mary had Jesus in a manger…..what makes these two so different…….nothing

26. Francis Kelly Jr says:

Hey, if I was a billionaire and had a grandfather with a name like Mugabwe or something, I’d done the same thing. Eat your hearts out, America.

1. Vince says:

Calling all cars. Calling all cars. This is an all points bulletin. Be on the look out for Francis Kelly’s soul. He seems to have lost it.

27. jerry says:

If all of you are really that upset about this then start a boycott of the products that Beyonce and Jay-Z endorse. Start by writing letters to L’Oreal and Pepsi. Ask them if their company supports parents being separated from their sick children to accommodate some “stars” ego.

1. Vince says:

Great idea!

28. Mike Amerine says:

The hospital’s reasoning just isn’t sound. Someone should lose their job over this. Every parent gets an identifying band to go with the one on their child these days. It’s absolutely, 100% guaranteed that none of those parents planned to have a baby at the same time just so they could sneak in and harass Beyonce and Jay-Z! All security needed to do was verify the silly wristbands of the parents and say, “thank you and congratulations” then let them through – disgraceful!

29. Lauren Murphy says:

The story sounds kind of made up. Pretend. Make believe. Devoid of verifiable facts.

30. Josh says:

Easy answer: 911. My child is being held hostage and I would like to have some police rescue them

31. suzieQ says:

When my son was born he was in the NICU. I had a spinal block and a C-section, and was suppose to lay flat on my back for 24 hours. After about 12 hours I damn near ripped out my morphine drip so I could get out of bed and walk down to touch and hold him. I don’t care how many bodyguards and security people they thought they needed, no one would have kept me from my baby boy. I would have called the police, to gain access. The parents of the other children, legally have access to their children and even the hospital can not keep them away, it would take a court order.

32. radicaltruth says:

Typical elites who party with the hypocrite in chief and his wife and expect special treatment from the masses… they should have rented a special portion of the hospital or some other health facility for their use only if they wanted such exclusive treatment apart from other patients and their families and guests.

33. Donna Skjeveland says:

wow.. for 1.3 mil they could have hired Doc Murray to assist them at home… then the baby would have really been famous

34. Vince says:

People will never learn. These “celebrities” are just people, and in fact, most of them are very FLAWED people with little regard for regular people. They are arrogant and incredibly egotistical. Whether it’s Alec Baldwin’s selfish tirade on a commercial airliner or this amazingly selfish stunt by these two clowns, it’s the same mentality. What they are saying is “WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU LOWLIFE SUCKERS WHO BUY OUR PRODUCTS!” Got it now? And shame on the HOSPITAL for allowing it to happen.

35. Vivily Green says:

You can share your life and love with friends online. — Bigtálls。C0M — it is a nice dating service for t all guys or girls to find their romantic love. Maybe you will like it. Join it and find your girl or guy

36. TheseIdiotsShouldNotReproduce says:

For 1.3 Million, they could have added a hospital wing to their mansion and had the baby at home. These people are arrogant SOBs. I have never supported them nor will I. Unfortunately, their peeps (who have nothing) keep them in style.

37. Pam says:

I would thank them for the round. The way to make a point to the hospital for such class warfair, DON’T PAY YOUR BILL. This rediculous treatment of America’s “royalty” and those that live in the “real America” is absolutely rediculous. A true caring hospital would never let something like this happen. In fact a well run hospital would treat these situations with such class that no one would even know this happened. The arrogance of JZ and Beyonce is the problem to ask for this to be done in the first place. The hospital should have refused and asked them to welcome the baby with friends when they returned home out of respect for their patients. My, my, my we are All so Self Absorbed…..

38. Ron says:

First, I don’t agree with the racial comments made here – just wrong. Second, race has nothing to do with it – any celeb who believes he/she is above all would do this.

Bottom line: I won’t be buying any of their CDs.

39. Triple A says:

No don’t worry Obamacare will not be based on how much money you can pay. Everyone will be treated the same, even steven. lol

1. Truth says:

Or, more correctly, under Obamacare, the NICU will simply just “go away”.

1. Triple A says:

Well for us common folk anyway.

40. vIK says:

Boycott these two arrogant, low-life P.O.S.’S and boycott Lenox Hills. Shame on all of you!!!!! Keep me away from my newborn kid?! It would take a lot more that your overgrown moutains of sheet to keep me away!!!!

41. SMS says:

I agree that the hospital is in the wrong on this. However, if you don’t like it stop supporting these “artists.” Don’t buy their music, don’t listen to them on the radio, don’t watch anything on TV that has anything to do with them even remotely. Many of the people that are “outraged” by this are the very same people that make it possible for any “celebrities” to spend the money they do. Our celebrity obsessed culture is crappin’ in it’s own nest and doesn’t even realize it.

42. Beth says:

My son was born with hemolytic disease and spent the first week of his life in the NICU receiving multiple, life-saving, blood transfusions. Unless you’ve been there, one cannot comprehend the level of distress the parents of a critically ill newborn are experiencing. I am absolutely galled, disgusted, and horrified that parents and healthcare providers were denied access to sick infants. To these awful celebrities and Lenox Hospital- SHAME ON YOU ALL!

1. violet says:

My son spent severak weeks in NICU from severe MAS . . . he was pre-ECMO . . . if I had been blocked from seeing my son when he was so very ill . . . I think I would have called the police and then my lawyer . . . The hospital as well as Beyonce and Jay-Z would now be looking at a multimillion dollar lawsuit . . . all those parents with sick children need to sue all three parties. . . I am sure there are attorneys out there who would take the case on contingency or even pro-bono . . . This will prevent these elites from thinking about doing something like this again

43. Truth says:

No surprise here. “Artists” are always promoted above the masses in Socialist Communist Societies, such as ours.

44. torre says:

Beyonce and JZ, more examples of useless human excrement.

The hospital should be sued.

45. jeff Laventure says:

Sounds like there could be a good argument for kidnapping by the hospital.

46. joyce says:

Another spoiled brat story no less.

47. I_Like_Apples says:

With all the money they have, why not just do a home birth? They would have saved lot’s of money and it’s just as successful if not the same as giving birth at a hospital? They would have also avoided this huge PR issue, including PO’ing patients, families and staff.

48. Bri says:

This is all a smoke screen, This wasn’t done because she’s a prima-dona it’s all carefully orchestrated to conceal the true birth-mother. No where does it say she gave birth. The hospital can’t speak due to patient confidentiality!

49. Sirjohnnyrotten says:

never give black people power , they will end up like all the african nations

1. LMFAO says:

You mean like Zimbabwe (Spelling)

50. Slow down says:

Slow down people.

1) This is the mainstream media. I want more facts/details before I express anger. Lots more, like the floor plan, how long this continued, eyewitness accounts, pictures, etc.

2) Beyonce – having just endured pregnancy, labor, delivery, and Jay Z.- gets a pass. It is doubtful she knew exactly what was happening or the effect it was having on others. Sounds like her/Jay Z.’s security folks went overboard and need some additional “sensitivity” and “diversity” training.

3) The hospital is fully responsible for managing security, family access to patients, etc. If they dropped the ball, or worse, dropped the ball for $$$ and preferential treatment, they should be held to account.

4) HOWEVER, HIPAA dramatically hamstrings them from speaking in their own defense. More damn governmental interference in our lives. I speak from experience.

5) When the doctors/nurses/staff recognized what was happening, they should have sounded the alarm vigorously. Did they?