NEW YORK (WFAN) — David Wright knows the 2012 season could be his last in Flushing.
The 29-year-old watched as fan favorite Jose Reyes signed with the Miami Marlins this offseason. On Sunday, Wright’s childhood friend and fellow third baseman Ryan Zimmerman signed a six-year, $100 million extension with Washington.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine: Bronx Residents Can Begin Scheduling Appointments For Johnson & Johnson Shots
Two distinctly different scenarios, each a possibility for Wright.
“We haven’t approached the Mets, and the Mets haven’t approached our side. It’s kind of status quo,” Wright said Sunday. “There’s nothing to report. Ryan is in a different situation where they’ve been working on this for a while.”
The New York Daily News reported Monday that Wright is “unlikely” to go the route of Reyes, though if he wants an extension he’ll have to earn it this season. According to the paper, the Mets aren’t “100% averse” to trading Wright, though they’d have to be “floored” by a can’t-miss offer.
“Four Zack Wheelers,” one source close to the Mets told the Daily News, referring to the blue-chip pitching prospect New York got in return for Carlos Beltran last July.READ MORE: COVID 1 Year: 'Long Haulers' Still On Long Road To Recovery, 'A Complete Lifestyle Change'
“We’ll wait and see,” Wright said. “I’ll go out and just try to play and not worry about that. The last thing on my mind is next year or the year after that.”
Wright is coming off his worst offensive season so far in New York. Slowed by back woes, the All-Star hit only .254 in 2011 with 14 home runs and 61 RBIs over 102 games.
The Mets could exercise Wright’s $16 million option for 2013. According to the Daily News, “no one is thinking about a contract extension yet” on either side.
“I haven’t even discussed that with my agents, and obviously the team hasn’t discussed it with my agents or me,” said Wright. “I think that it might occur in the future. … I’m not really sure the protocol, but I would assume the team pretty much approaches the player. I don’t think the front office wants 25 different phone calls from 25 different agents about extensions.”
“We haven’t even made a phone call. They haven’t made a phone call,” he added. “I’m not unhappy about that. I’m really happy with the situation I’m in and am just kind of looking forward to the year.”MORE NEWS: Wife Of Top Cuomo Aide Shows Support On Social Media For Governor's Latest Sexual Harassment Accuser
Mets fans, should the team trade or extend Wright? Sound off below…