ELIZABETH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A cold case was cracked in New Jersey on Monday.

After a 17-month investigation came up empty, a tip from an unlikely source has police believing they have solved the murder of 55-year-old Diane Zaleski.

READ MORE: Rangers Stay Red Hot, Get 4 Points From Panarin In Rout Of Blackhawks

Arnell Yearwood, 26, described by police as a drifter, was arrested for the brutal murder of Zaleski, who was stabbed to death in her Union Township home in November 2010.

1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon Hears From The Union County Prosecutor

“The past 17 months have been absolute hell for our family,” said the victim’s niece, Marisa Iannarone.

The Union County Homicide Task Force was tipped off by a woman in Massachusetts, who had been in contact with Yearwood on Facebook. She found out about the Zaleski case, took information the suspect had given her over the Internet and called police.

But authorities said they received no help from Facebook in tracking Yearwood down.

“Facebook has been known to disregard law enforcement and this was a horrible example of a lack of cooperation on the part of Facebook and they should wise up and do what’s right,” Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow said.

Authorities were eventually able to get a phone number for Yearwood, and, with the help of New Jersey State Police, the suspect was arrested Saturday at a house in Union Township, where he was removing carpet.

READ MORE: NYC Hospitality Alliance: Mayor De Blasio 'Grinch' For Vaccine Mandate That May Keep Tourists With Young Children Away

Yearwood’s mother lives across the street from Zaleski’s house and he had used Zaleski’s computer while he was in her home. According to police, Yearwood left forensic evidence that linked him to the crime.

Zaleski had been reportedly renovating her home at the time of her death, but officials did not say if they think Zaleski knew Yearwood or whether he was helping with the renovation.

Diane Zaleski (credit: Personal Photo)

“His inconceivable actions have been haunting us endlessly and now we can turn our focus to the courts and ensure that he never sees the light of day again,” Iannarone said.

Yearwood remained in police custody Monday. He’s being held on $1 million bail.

The Union County Prosecutor’s Office said it is continuing its investigation, but currently has no motive for the murder.

Share your thoughts in the comments section below…

MORE NEWS: Hate Crimes Spike Citywide, New NYPD Data Reveals