NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Two men have been arrested in connection with the death of an aspiring chef who was robbed of his iPhone and killed just blocks from his home in the Bronx last week, police said.
Dominick Davis, 20, and Alejandro Campos, 21, both of the Bronx, were arrested Thursday.READ MORE: Viral Video Shows Unmasked NYPD Officer Pushing Masked Commuter Out Of Subway Station
Both were charged with murder, robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of stolen property in the death of 26-year-old Hwang Yang, police said.
Campos drove the getaway car, while Davis shot Yang and left him to die, police said.
The break in the case came when someone tried to register the stolen phone, sources told 1010 WINS. Later, the online advertising site Craigslist helped lead detectives to the arrest of both suspects. That’s where cops found Yang’s iPhone listed for $400, CBS 2’s Emily Smith learned Friday.
Sunah Yang, the victim’s sister, said her devastated mother couldn’t even make it to the door after hearing of the arrests.
“She started crying when she heard it. She cried. I can’t believe they tried just for iPhone, tried to kill someone just for iPhone,” Sunah Yang told CBS 2’s Smith. I try to be strong because I don’t want my parents to cry. If they see me cry, I’m sure they’re going to cry more.
“At least we are relieved the suspect is caught, at least.”READ MORE: Hip-Hop Improv Show 'Freestyle Love Supreme' Returns To Broadway
Hwang Yang was walking home from the subway when he was confronted by a gunman at the corner of Cambridge Avenue and West 232nd Street at around 12:30 a.m. on April 19 and robbed of his iPhone, police said. Sources told CBS 2’s Smith the perpetrators followed Yang for blocks and snatched his phone from his hand after firing a shot into his torso.
Yang was pronounced dead at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.
Korean born, Yang had only been working as a chef at the Modern, in the Museum of Modern Art, since February. Co-workers described Yang as professional and friendly.
A spokesperson for the eatery said in a written statement: “Our entire restaurant family is devastated by the tragic news.”
Top photo courtesy of DNAinfo.comMORE NEWS: Eligible New Jersey Residents Urged To Get COVID Booster Shot
Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …