NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Nine people were forced into the cold early Saturday after a fire tore through a house in Newark.

Firefighters said the flames broke out around 4 a.m. Saturday, inside an unoccupied house at 84 Smith St. in Newark.

The fire spread to two other houses, and the residents had to be evacuated. Also evacuated were two people who had been squatting in the vacant building.

The fire ripped off the roof of the vacant house where it began, while the other two houses sustained less severe damage, according to the Associated Press.

There was no word on a cause for the fire as of 9 a.m., but reports suggest squatters could have been using candles or a space heater.

No civilians were hurt, but one firefighter was taken to an area hospital to be checked out for shortness of breath. He is expected to recover.

Offer your thoughts and comments below…


Leave a Reply