BALDWIN, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The homecoming game was cut short at Baldwin High School on Long Island Friday night, after shots were fired and a teenager was stabbed.

As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports, the pivotal game between Baldwin and Hicksville high schools was supposed to be part of a fun night. But parents and students who attended the game said they first heard shots being fired, then found out about the stabbing.

READ MORE: Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Held In The Bronx's Little Italy

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports

“Everything was going just fine and just heard two pops,” one father who attended the game said. “Unfortunately I was in the parking lot when it happened. There were a couple of other people in the parking lot, and they hit the deck, windows shattered.”

No one was injured by the gunshots, according to police, but responding officers did find a teenager of an undisclosed age with a stab wound.

The football game was suspended, and everyone in the area was evacuated, authorities said. The father said the evacuation was orderly.

“I’ve got to tell you – everything was handled properly. There was no panic. There was no craziness going on,” he said.

The father said it was a rare occasion that he let his ninth-grade son attend a game alone, and that such will not happen again.

READ MORE: Small Business Owners Say Shopping Locally Is More Important Than Ever Amid COVID, Supply Chain Struggles

As 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reports, Drew Elmore’s son was also at the homecoming game. He called the incident extremely disappointing.

1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reports

“A lot of these kids were from other towns, but it gives our town a black eye because it occurred during our homecoming, which is really not fair, because I love our town. It’s a multicultural town,” Elmore said.

Elmore said he will allow his son to go to future games, but not unsupervised. He also said if it looks like trouble is about to break out, he will leave early.

Students said they believe the suspects in the incident were from other areas, and that a gang presence was expected at the game.

“It’s not, like, unexpected, like, we knew there were going to be, like, gangs here and stuff, so I don’t know,” one student said. “I don’t really want to talk about it.”

Police continued to investigate Saturday. It was not immediately learned whether the investigation would affect classes on Monday.

MORE NEWS: Man Stabbed To Death In Bay Ridge, Suspect In Custody

Leave your thoughts and comments below…