NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – New York City is coordinating the distribution of about 26,500 Thanksgiving meals for residents most affected by Superstorm Sandy.
Turkey dinners will be available from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at the city’s prepared food distribution sites.READ MORE: Walker Scores 19, Knicks Romp To End 15-Game Skid Vs 76ers
Meals also were being given out Wednesday.
The efforts are getting a boost from the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City. They also are getting a hand from local elected officials, community and culinary groups, religious organizations and supermarkets.
Thanksgiving meals prepared by Whitson’s Culinary Group will be distributed at the following sites from 11 AM – 3 PM on Thursday:
- MCU Park (Coney Island) (Parking Lot): 1904 Surf Avenue (@ West 19th Street)
- Fine Fare Supermarket (Coney Island) (Parking Lot): 2901 Mermaid Avenue (@W29th)
- Searise Houses (Coney Island) (Courtyard): Neptune Avenue and 37th Streets
- Waldbaum’s (Parking Lot): 112-15 Beach Channel Drive (@ Beach 112 Street)
- Thriftway Mall (Parking Lot): 20-52 Mott Street (btw. 20th & 21st Streets)
- Key Food (Parking Lot): 87-15 Rockaway Beach Blvd. (btw. Beach 87th & 88th Streets)
The Mayor’s Office is working with community organizations in impacted areas to host Thanksgiving dinners, with support from the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City at the following locations:READ MORE: Flames Use 4-Goal Outburst In 1st Period To Beat Devils
- Brooklyn – Miccio Community Center in Red Hook with a food donation from Fairway Market
- Staten Island – The Vanderbilt at South Beach in partnership with Borough President James Molinaro and with support from the Stephen Siller Foundation and the Mannix Family of ShopRite
- Staten Island – The Excelsior Grand in partnership with Borough President James Molinaro and with support from the Stephen Siller Foundation and the Mannix Family of ShopRite
- Staten Island – The Grand Oaks Country Club in partnership with Borough President Molinaro and with support from the Stephen Siller Foundation and the Mannix Family of ShopRite
- Brooklyn – El Caribe in Mill Basin on Thursday evening in partnership with Councilman Dominic Recchia. Transportation will be provided from the MCU parking lot in Coney Island.
- Brooklyn – Miccio Community Center in Red Hook with a food donation from Feeding NYC
- Queens – Beach 41st Street Community Center with a food donation from Fairway Market
- Queens – IS 53 in Far Rockaway in partnership with Councilman James Sanders
- Queens – St. Francis de Sales Parish in Belle Harbor with support from the Stiller Foundation
The City is also providing assistance and support for additional Thanksgiving dinners at the following locations:
- Queens – Hammel Houses in Rockaway Beach
- Queens – St. Francis de Sales Parish in Belle Harbor
- Queens – St. Helen’s Church in Howard Beach
- Queens – Ocean Bay Community Center in Far Rockaway
- Queens – Redfern Community Center in Far Rockaway
- Staten Island – New Dorp High School
- Staten Island – Pepper Jack Grill for Evacuees at the Mt. Manresa shelter
- Staten Island – Baily Seaton Hospital Shelter
New York City with FEMA have distributed more than 2.7 million meals and nearly 700,000 bottles of water so far to people impacted by Sandy.MORE NEWS: New York Weather: CBS2’s 10/27 Wednesday Morning Forecast
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)