NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City officials have called for an investigation into the recent subway deaths in an effort to put the brakes on the number of incidents.
There have been six subway deaths already in 2013. The circumstances in the incidents vary, but Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer said the rash of deaths on the tracks deserves a closer look.READ MORE: First Alert Forecast: Saturday Snowstorm Could Mean More Than A Foot For Long Island, Up To 6 Inches In NYC
The city is on pace for 100 deaths this year – almost twice as many as last year, Stringer said.
“These accidents have been happening too often and to too many New Yorkers. The time is now to search for answers,” Stringer told reporters, including WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell and 1010 WINS’ Holli Haerr. “They’re something visceral and something tragic.”