Updated at 1:07 a.m., March 12, 2013

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Angry Brooklyn residents threw bottles at police Monday night as they marched in protest of this past weekend’s deadly police shooting in East Flatbush, 1010 WINS reported.

READ MORE: Ben Roethlisberger Announces Retirement After 18 Seasons With Steelers

The NYPD dispatched officers in riot gear to respond, and one person was arrested for disorderly conduct, CBS 2 reported.

Dozens of officers stood guard in the aftermath of the protest. Police said it started peacefully, but then took an ugly turn as the crowd started to disperse.

The crowd of about 20 teens and other residents gathered at Nostrand and Synder avenues, outside the 67th Precinct station, 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reported. Some people screamed, and rocks and bottles were thrown, all in protest of the police-involved shooting Saturday of 16-year-old Kimani Gray.

The crowd then headed toward the scene of the shooting, in front of a home on East 52nd Street, in East Flatbush, Rincon reported.

During the march, crowd members rushed into a Rite Aid at Albany and Church avenues around 9:20 p.m. In the melee a store worker suffered a gash to the head, police confirmed to CBS 2 and 1010. The worker was taken to a nearby hospital and is expected to recover, police said.

Once the crowd arrived at the scene of the shooting, emotions remained tense, 1010 WINS reported. However, City Councilman Jumaane Williams (D-45th) and Gray’s sister appealed for calm, and the crowd complied.

Some group members laid flowers at the scene, and eventually everyone went their separate ways.

READ MORE: Child Hospitalized After Being Struck By Vehicle In Brooklyn

WCBS 880 reported that by 9:50 p.m., the situation had calmed down and that there were no initial reports of arrests or injuries. Police told WCBS 880 the melee was a “disorderly gathering of people” rather than a riot.

Police told WCBS 880 there were no reports of damage to property.

On Saturday, plainclothes officers from the Brooklyn South Anti-Crime Patrol were walking a neighborhood in East Flatbush when they came upon a group of young men standing in front of the home on East 52nd Street, according to police.

Police said at one point Gray pulled a gun from his waistband and turned toward the officers, 1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reported. Officers responded to seeing the gun by opening fire, police said.

Gray was pronounced dead at Kings County Hospital a short time later, police said.

Police said a loaded Rohm’s Industry .38-caliber revolver was recovered at the scene.

Gray had been arrested three times since October, police said.

MORE NEWS: Remembering Officer Rivera: Wake Today For 22-Year-Old Killed In Line Of Duty In Harlem

Please leave your comments below…