Police: Man Acting Irrationally, Combative When He Was Tased

MERIDEN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – State authorities are investigating Meriden police’s use of a stun gun on an injured man who later died.

State police say the man was bleeding from his hands and acting irrationally Sunday night in a rear parking lot of the police station. Troopers say the man also was combative with police, who used a stun gun on him.

READ MORE: NYPD Investigating Pair Of Deadly Shootings In Queens

According to state police, the man approached officers about a possible carjacking situation when they noticed he was bleeding.

“The individual stated that he was taking drugs and the officers observed him chewing something. Hence summoned an ambulance for transportation to an area hospital for emergency examination. The male subject continued to be combative with the officers. He was tasered. He continued to be combative while in the ambulance on his way to the hospital and at the hospital itself,” Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance told WCBS 880. “Shortly after admission to the emergency department, the subject was pronounced dead.”

The man was pronounced dead at MidState Medical Center in Meriden after doctors tried to medicate him.

READ MORE: Police: Man Stabbed In Head With Machete After Argument At Walmart In Kearny, N.J.

The man’s name is being withheld until his family is notified. An autopsy is planned.

Meriden police say the man told them that he was eating drugs and being chased by others who wanted to take his vehicle.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]

MORE NEWS: New York Weather: CBS2’s 9/25 Saturday Morning Forecast

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)