Suspect Has Been Charged With Attempted Murder

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A man who was shot and wounded by police has been charged with attempted murder and several other counts for allegedly stabbing a woman repeatedly Saturday night.

Police shot and wounded the man inside an apartment in the South Bronx Saturday night.

According to police, a woman flagged down two officers near East 149th Street and Morris Avenue and reported an assault in progress in a nearby apartment building.

When the officers arrived at the apartment around 8:30 p.m., they saw a 37-year-old man stabbing a 35-year-old woman in the torso and legs. The suspect has been identified by police as Guillermo Melendez.

Officers ordered Melendez to stop. When he refused, one officer fired a single shot, hitting Melendez in the torso.

He and the victim, who had multiple stab wounds to her neck, hand, chest and leg, were taken to Lincoln Hospital where they are both listed in critical but stable condition.

The officers were taken to the hospital for tinnitus.

Knife recovered following police-involved shooting in the South Bronx (credit: NYPD)

Knife recovered following police-involved shooting in the South Bronx (credit: NYPD)

Police have charged Melendez with attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, menacing and attempted assault on a police officer.

His 11-inch knife was recovered at the scene, police said.

An investigation is ongoing.

The incident marked the third police-involved shooting in 24 hours.

Just before 3 a.m. on Saturday in Harlem, officers fired shots at a suspect who allegedly pointed a gun as they chased him around 111th Street and Lenox Avenue. The suspect was not hit.

John Bradley, 27, was later charged with assault of a police officer with a deadly weapon, criminal possession of a weapon, reckless endangerment, and criminal mischief.

Around 4:30 a.m. Saturday in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, officers spotted three young men entering a van in which police were safeguarding a gun being held as evidence in an earlier shooting. After they ignored orders to stop, an officer shot and wounded a 17-year-old boy, while a second teen was arrested.

Both suspects were in police custody Saturday night, while the third suspect fled.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]


Leave a Reply