Trains Were Halted For 40 Minutes While Officers Searched For Armed Suspect

GREENWICH, Conn. (CBSNewYork) — Metro-North Railroad service on the New Haven line was disrupted during the Wednesday evening commute, as police hunted for a bank robber.

At around 5:05 p.m., Greenwich police requested the Metropolitan Transportation Authority hold trains going in both directions at the station, authorities said. Police searched the trains and tracks but did not locate the suspect.

The MTA had said the suspect fired a shot, but authorities later said no shots were fired.

LINK: Video Of Police Searching Train

Service on the New Haven line resumed around 5:45 p.m.

Police looking for a bank robber search a Metro-North train in Greenwich, Conn. (credit: Alex Paschos)

Police looking for a bank robber search a Metro-North train in Greenwich, Conn. (credit: Alex Paschos)

As CBS 2’s Dave Carlin reported, a passenger took a cellphone video as police boarded the Metro-North train, with guns drawn, on the hunt for their suspect. As of Wednesday night, the suspect remained on the loose.

Greenwich police said they knew they had to act fast if they were going to catch the bank robber. As heavily armed officers stormed in, and went train car to train car, commuters kept their hands up high.

Afterward came the search dogs.

“At this time, we know that something crazy is happening,” commuter Alexander Paschos said.

Throughout what he called the most dramatic train trip of his life, Paschos kept his smartphone video rolling.

“At one time, when the SWAT arrived in full gear, they said, ‘Everyone, get off your seat and on the ground and put your hands in the air,’” Paschos said.

Some stranded commuters also took to Twitter during the police investigation.

“Something major going on at #Greenwich train station,” Jennifer Garcia, of Long Island City, posted. “Cops have guns drawn, searching every car on my train.”

In another tweet, Garcia said passengers were forced to keep their arms raised as police searched the cars.

This bank is just steps from the stairs to the train platform, and if timed right, the suspect could have made a speedy getaway.

“He spoke to the teller in Spanish, intimated that he had a weapon, demanded cash,” said Greenwich Police Lt. Craig Gray. “Shortly thereafter, he received money — undetermined amount — and fled on foot.”

Police released a surveillance photo of the suspect robbing the People’s United Bank on Greenwich Avenue. The man is seen wearing a beige hat, sunglasses and a white shirt with a beige tie.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]