NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is out for the rest of the 2013 MLB season.
Brian Cashman announced on Wednesday afternoon that Jeter has been placed on the disabled list. Jeter had been out of the lineup due to ankle soreness.READ MORE: 2nd Former Aide Accuses Gov. Andrew Cuomo Of Sexual Harassment, Governor Requests Independent Review
Recently-acquired infielder Brendan Ryan will start at shortstop for the Yankees on Wednesday night at Camden Yards. Ryan was acquired by the Yankees from the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday night a player to be named.
Jeter has been plagued by injuries throughout the 2013 season. He holds a $8 million player option for the 2014 season with a $3 million buyout.
The Yankees captain met the media shortly after the announcement.
“It’s very disappointing not to be able to play, especially this time of year. This is when I want to play the most,” he said.READ MORE: NYPD: Good Samaritan Killed, 3 Hurt In Stabbing Linked To Illegal Brooklyn Gambling Den
Jeter underwent a CT scan on his ankle Saturday. Results of the original scan came back negative.
He called 2014 a nightmare season.
“The entire year has been pretty much a nightmare for me physically,” Jeter said.
Cashman does not expect Jeter’s career to be over. He fully anticipates Jeter returning to the Yankees in 2014.
“I have not seen Derek Jeter play his last game. No one has,” he told reporters.
Through 17 games in 2013, Jeter was batting .190 with 1 home run and 7 RBIs. He is a career .312 batter and has played in 2,602 career games for the Yankees.
You May Also Be Interested In These StoriesMORE NEWS: Nassau County Executive Laura Curran Exposed To Positive COVID-19 Case, Will Quarantine
[display-posts category=”sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]