NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Nearly a year after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., many have been anticipating a report outlining the events of that tragic day.
The office of the Chief State’s Attorney said Friday the report will not include the entire evidence file, which runs hundreds of pages.
The office has interviewed dozens of people and investigated every second of what happened that day. The report will highlight what police procedures were followed and if they were effective.
Some lawmakers and loved ones also have expressed hope that the report creates additional momentum for gun violence protection and mental health programs.
The report was initially expected over the summer and the projected release date was pushed back several times. State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky III has come under pressure from authorities including Gov. Dan Malloy to release more information as the anniversary of the Dec. 14 massacre approaches.
As WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reported last week, the gradual leak of information surrounding the shooting has caused a Newtown official to request the 911 recordings be released.
Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra made the call following recent reports raising questions about the police response at Sandy Hook last December.
“What I’m seeing with the drip, drip, drip of information is that it has created a chronic sense of anxiety because we don’t know what the next bit of information is that’s going to be released,” Llodra told Diamond. “For me, it’s the difference between an acute pain an a chronic pain. So I’m looking at the community from that balcony view and saying this is not good for us to be fearful that every day more harmful news is going to have to be blasted across the front page of the paper.”
Sources familiar with the 911 call said someone at headquarters ordered police to wait outside while gunfire could be heard in the background, Diamond reported.
Newtown police union president Scott Ruszczyk said the wait order was directed at unarmed ambulance personnel, not police.
The gunman was 20-year-old Adam Lanza. He killed his mother at their Newtown home, fatally shot 20 first-graders and six educators at the school, and killed himself as police arrived.
Last month, demolition crews began leveling Sandy Hook. The fate of the 57-year-old building was decided by a 28-member task force of elected officials following a series of public hearings.
The decision was made not only to demolish the school, but to pulverize the debris. Workers on the project were also required to sign confidentiality agreements.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)