NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Bill de Blasio has unveiled more details to his plan to eliminate deadly traffic accidents in New York City, especially those involving pedestrians.
Since announcing his “Vision Zero” initiative last month, de Blasio said an interagency task force has worked to develop new strategies to make streets safer.
As CBS 2’s Dick Brennan reported, de Blasio announced the 62-point plan on a block where a 9-year-old boy was killed by a cab last month.
“There’s nothing that can even be painful to me anymore because I lost my son and I want my son back and I miss him,” Dena Lerner, of the Upper West Side, said Tuesday.
Lerner’s son, Cooper Stock, was mowed down and killed by a cab at the intersection of West End Avenue and 97th Street last month as the boy’s father held his hand.
“Being struck by a car is the leading cause of injury-related death for children younger than 15,” the mayor said.
Cooper was one of seven pedestrians killed in the first two weeks of 2014.
“Anyone who knows this town knows there’s a speeding problem, and we have to address it,” de Blasio said. “And it’s obviously directly linked to the number of fatalities. We want everyone who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle to think carefully about the situation they’re in in the densest city in the nation. We want pedestrians to think carefully. This is very much about raising consciousness and changing behaviors.”