POINT PLEASANT BEACH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – The Jersey Shore motel fire that claimed the lives of four people last week was allegedly sparked by an improperly discarded cigarette, according to a preliminary investigation from the Ocean County prosecutor’s office.
A cigarette is believed to have ignited a stuffed chair in the second-floor smoking area of the 25-unit Mariner’s Cove Motor Inn in Point Pleasant Beach, according to authorities.READ MORE: TIMELINE: Nor'easter Could Bring More Than A Foot Of Snow To Long Island & Jersey Shore; Up To 8 Inches To NYC
A surveillance video from the motel was recovered by investigators. The surveillance system was badly damaged in the fire, according to prosecutors.
“We thought there’s no way we’re gonna be able to recover anything here between the fire and the water damage but, amazingly, over the weekend, they managed to salvage significant surveillance video,” prosecutor’s office spokesman Al Della Fave told WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond. “In terms of the who, that’s what we’ll endeavor to find out next.”