Dominque Ansel’s ‘Cronut’ Bakery Reopens After Shutdown Over Mice Infestation
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A few mice can’t keep “Cronut” lovers away.
People are once again lined up outside the Dominique Ansel Bakery in Soho just days after the world-famous bake shop was closed by the Department of Health.
As 1010 WINS’ Gary Baumgarten reported Friday, a customer at the Spring Street bakery filmed a mouse scurrying across the floor and behind the counter earlier in the week, then posted the video to YouTube.
The video was also turned in to the health department, which investigated and determined that the bakery was in need of professional pest control services.
According to the city’s Department of Health website, the bakery received an “A” rating despite the following sanitary violations:
– Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas
– Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
– Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
Over the past year, the shop has enjoyed international acclaim.
The “cronut,” a croissant-doughnut pastry, was even called one of the best inventions of 2013 in Time Magazine, CBS 2 reported.
The bakery posted the following message on its Facebook page: “We are deeply sorry for any disappointment that we may have caused you. Taking this opportunity, we have completely fortified our facilities with a full reconstruction and re-cementing, taking every issue seriously in an effort to provide an even more pristine environment for our guests. As you know, we cook in completely opened kitchens, so everything we do is in full view.”
In honor of the grand reopening, the bakery has created the “Rocky Cronut” with a quote about resilience from the one and only Rocky Balboa.
“We are excited to welcome you back and looking forward to greeting you all personally, as we do every day,” said the bakery staff. “In the words of Rocky Balboa – whose theme song has been playing on our radio all weekend long while we worked to deliver everything that was required of us and more – ‘getting hit and keep moving forward…that’s how winning is done!'”
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Police: L.I. Woman Faces Several Charges After Escaping Custody, Stealing Ambulance
- Bratton: Predators Taking Advantage Of Tourists At Selfie Screen In Times Square
- Move Over Pizza Rat! New Video Shows 2 Rats Fighting Over 1 Slice Of Pizza In Subway
- Suspect Charged With Luring, Groping Boys In Park In The Bronx