NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The mother of an autistic teenager who disappeared from his school and was later found dead has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.
The Daily News says the lawsuit was filed last week in Queens Supreme Court. It accuses the city, the Department of Education, NYPD and numerous individuals of negligence for allowing the 14-year-old boy to leave the school.
Avonte Oquendo disappeared from his Queens school on Oct. 4, setting off a massive search that included extensive searches of subway tunnels and regular announcements over the public-address system at subway stations.
His remains were found in the East River in January, several miles from where he vanished.
A city Law Department spokesman said the lawsuit was under review.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]