NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police early Sunday arrested a robbery suspect without incident in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx, after the suspect allegedly pointed a gun at both the officers and himself.

The chain of events began at 4:20 p.m., when police were called to the scene of a robbery at 706 Faile St. in the Bronx.

Officers found the victim, a 33-year-old man, who said two men he did not know had come up to him at gunpoint, demanded his property, and taken $1,000 and a cellphone, police said.

After receiving a description of the suspects from the victim, the officers put out a bulletin to other units to search for the suspects, police said.

Police found a suspect fitting the description on a footbridge near the Bruckner Expressway. Two officers from the 41st Precinct Conditions Team, in uniform and in an unmarked police vehicle, got out and approached the man, police said.

The suspect ran off across the footbridge, but officers found him again under a parked car, where he allegedly pointed a gun at the officers. One of the officers fired at the suspect, but did not strike him, police said.

At that point, the suspect ran off again, police said.

Officer caught up with the suspect in a gangway behind an apartment building at 1091 Longfellow Rd., where he jumped down from a retaining wall and pointed a gun first at the officers, then at his own head as he threatened to hurt himself, police said.

An Emergency Services officer and a 41st Precinct lieutenant jumped down the wall and started talking to the suspect, police said. The suspect pointed the gun at the officers, but the officers saw the gun malfunction and arrested the suspect on the spot, police said.

Police recovered the firearm – a loaded 9mm Ruger – as well as the $1,000 and the cellphone he allegedly stole from the victim, police said.

The suspect – David Gant, 28, of the Bronx, was charged with robbery, criminal possession of a weapon, and menacing, police said.

Upon apprehension, Gant was taken to Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center for an injury to his leg when he jumped off the wall, police said. A police officer was also taken to Jamaica Hospital Center for tinnitus, police said.

A second suspect was still at large Sunday afternoon.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]


Leave a Reply